Top Feedback Summary for MS Edge - June 2020

This is a copy of the Feedback summary for the new Microsoft Edge in  2020. The Feedback is updated every week and can be accessed at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopfeedback. Updates would be shared here as well. Written by Missy, the community manager for Microsoft Edge.

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

(Join the discussion)

Mouse cursor sometimes disappears

11 weeks

Planned for July

Highlighter tool for PDF files

18 weeks

Planned for Summer

Enable navigation of PDF files via table of contents

19 weeks

Planned for Summer

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

33 weeks

Planned

Enable automatic generation of strong passwords

1 week

Planned

Support two-page layout in PDF reader

1 week

Planned

Edge launches with previous session’s tabs when “On startup” setting is set to “Open a new tab”

1 week

Planned

Add "text notes" feature to PDF files

6 weeks

Planned

Voice search on google.com doesn’t work

8 weeks

Planned

MSA profile picture is not updating

11 weeks

Planned

Allow more top sites on the New Tab Page

16 weeks

Planned

Make Edge available on Linux

22 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

34 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

44 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

44 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

44 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

44 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

44 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

39 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

40 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

42 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

44 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

44 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

44 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

44 weeks

Under Review

Add option to remove previous search terms from the New Tab Page’s search box auto-suggestion list 

2 weeks

Under Review

Some web page fonts are blurry

7 weeks

Under Review

Add ability to close tabs via double-click

11 weeks

Not Planned

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

13 weeks

Not Planned

(View the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

23 weeks

Not planned

(See the discussion)

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

35 weeks

Updates June 10th:

• First, we’re adding a new item this week! Add option to remove previous search terms from the New Tab Page’s search box auto-suggestion list is currently Under Review. We’ve heard from users like yourselves that you are looking for the search bar on the new tab page to have the option to clear previous search terms. The team is reviewing this, and we’ll provide updates as we get them.
  • We’re really excited to announce that one item is moving to AddressedSupport read aloud of PDF filesFawkes posted an article from the team about how to try out the feature in our Dev and Canary channels. Have more feedback about this feature? Please drop a note in that thread or submit feedback via the in-app feedback tool. Thanks to everyone who submitted feedback in the past about this so the team can understand where you’re coming from when you use the read aloud feature!
  • Additionally, we’re ready to move Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge from In Discussion to Planned. We encourage you to review the new sidebar search option that we recently implemented. Please give us your thoughts on this feature over in the thread Maryam posted a couple weeks ago.
  • Lastly, we are moving Mouse cursor sometimes disappears from In Discussion to Planned for June. We’ve recently implemented improvements that we feel cover a lot of the issues users have reported seeing, however we encourage you to submit feedback via the browser if you still notice issues with your mouse cursor disappearing. It’s important to note that your mouse cursor should disappear if you are watching a video or if you are using a trackpad. Head over to the discussion thread to let Clay and team know if you’re seeing this still.

Updates June 18:

We have four items being added to our Planned status, three of which are brand new! For the fourth item, Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files is moving from In Discussion to Planned. We’ll update this once we know more about when we expect it will be implemented, so keep an eye out for updates.

The first new item this week is something we’ve seen feedback on regarding privacy: Enable automatic generation of strong passwords. Up next, Support two-page layout in PDF reader is something we’ve seen from users lately following our recent updates to PDFs. Lastly, we’ve noticed a trend in reports of settings not being honored, so we are adding Edge launches with previous session’s tabs when “On startup” setting is set to “Open a new tab” to the list this week. You can expect more updates for these items here first as we get them.

Updates June 24

First up, we are considering Mouse cursor disappears sometimes as Addressed. We’ve implemented several fixes for this and have seen reports drop since then. That being said, if your mouse cursor disappears outside of when you are watching a video or using a touchpad, please do submit feedback through the browser so that the team can investigate again. Thanks so much to everyone who submitted feedback around this; it truly does help us solve these issues.

This week, we’ve decided to add a new Status – Alternative Planned. This is to let the community know that while we aren’t addressing the feedback directly, we have something else in the works that we consider a replacement for the item. This way we can be clear about our plans around your feedback.

Definitions:

• Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels
  • Not Planned – We don’t currently plan to address this feedback, though we will continue to track it and reconsider our approach if needed.
  • Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated.
  • Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 
  • In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum.
  • Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.
  • Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

*Updates mean the addressed items are live in Dev and Canary Channels of Microsoft Edge in the week. It would be shipped to stable in the next release.

Originally written here https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/top-feedback-summary-for-june-10/m-p/1454480

(If you have recommended this discussion and are looking for the unsubscribe button, please hit subscribe below, and a dialogue will open with the unsubscribe choice.)

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

my pc had an update and it installed new microsoft  (june 2020 update) edge that i do NOT want on my pc how can i remove it and why does microsoft insist we have to use it and why do they keep putting it on computers when you dont need it i certainly dislike it  i find it sluggish slow to load pages and intrusive and i wish it gone from my computer like a virus?

69 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Please let us remove this off of our computers by simply letting us uninstall. For some reason seeing an update and restarting my computer just to see that it was a web browser that i do not want and will not use infuriates me. I did not choose to download it and i do not care if its in the "core" system. Simply because it is forced on me I will not even try it. I hope many others feel the same way I do. 

56 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi. I want to give some good feedback regarding the new Edge Browser. I'm still using Windows 10, Version 1909. I haven't been offered the new upgrade to Version 2004, just a message that states my laptop isn't quite ready yet which is fine with me. I'm willing to wait a month or so until some of the kinks are worked out with the new OS.

Last week, I automatically received the upgrade to the new Edge browser through Windows Updates. I let it download and took the upgrade. I must say that I am pleased with the new Edge Browser.

I used to make my own apps of some of my favorite websites like the Sundance channel, etc. I would have to use Internet Explorer 11 to do that, however, because the old Edge Browser couldn't create a shortcut to my desktop. In IE 11, I could. I would then right-click on the link to the Sundance Channel on my desktop and select "Copy", From there I would use "Run" and select shell: programs. When that opened up I would right-click and select 'Paste' where it would add the Sundance Channel there.

The Sundance Channel would now show up as an app listed in the start menu, and I could then pin it to start.

It's so much easier now with the new Edge Browser. I can now go to a website like the Sundance Channel, select the ...  (settings and more) up in the right corner, scroll down to "Apps" and make an app out of the Sundance Channel. From there, you can do a search on the desktop for "Sundance Channel", right-click on and select "pin to Start". Or you can open the start menu, scroll down to Sundance Channel and right-click from there to pin to start.

It's so much easier now, and no switching from Edge to IE 11 to do that. Thanks Microsoft for making it so much easier! I've had no problems with any of the features with the new Edge Browser, and I've now made it my default browser! I can even work on my website with the new Edge Browser! 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i HATE Microsoft Edge. Its so shady what they do to get you to download it, like:

1. Forcing it onto your computer

2. Not being able to close it the first time you open it, until you log in

3. Always begging to be prioritized, and doesn't allow me to not have the news always BLASTED INTO MY FACE.

4. When its downloaded, it automatically pins it to your taskbar

What's wrong with it, is not these. These can be fixed by us, because we understand how. But people who did not grow up with this technology don't know how to turn it off, and get stuck with something they aren't happy about, which degrades their overall experience.

Please fix this, Microsoft.

-fakurai

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only reason I haven't completely wiped this from my computer, because I can do that, is for the ink option. That's the only good thing.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a piece of $hit, always not responding, going with Mozilla enough said!

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Post updated with updates shared on 18th June.
Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Hate the way Microsoft force their upgrades on computers. The new Edge is woeful so I'm off to Firefox.

MICROSOFT!! STOP DOING THIS TO PEOPLE .... AT LEAST GIVE US THE CHANCE TO UNINSTALL THE UNWANTED UPGRADES .... THEY MAY WORK FROM A SECURITY POINT OF VIEW BUT MY GOD, THEY DO SCREW UP PEOPLE'S WORK/LIFE EXERIENCES.

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could we please have the dates on the Printout Headers in the User's Default Regional Date Format or alternatively with the  alpha month format as follows.

June 24, 2020

In a region where the date format is d/m/y it is very confusing to have the m/d/y format where the day is in the 1 - 12 range.

I am sure that almost every programming language permits the date to be formatted so it should be very easy to change the format to use the Alpha month if it is too difficult to pick up the User's Regional format.

Screen Shot of date on a printout in my d/m/y region.

PS. Added information. Today I submitted this via the Feedback directly from the Edge App. (July 11, 2020)

Regards,

OssieMac

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Post updated with the changes on June 24.

Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated September 16, 2022 Views 2,472 Applies to: