Microsoft Edge Update Service multiple instances

Hi, I was checking task manager to make sure a program I wanted to run was booting, when I noticed an uncountable amount of processes named "Microsoft Edge Update (32 bit)". Does anyone know why this happens? Does anyone know how to stop it? I don't particularly use edge so I'm wondering why this is showing up in the first place as well.

[Attached image is of a multitude of the "Microsoft Edge Update (32 bit)" processes being displayed on Task Manager on my 2nd monitor.]

Answer
Answer

Hi folks!

Edit 2/2 - The fix for this is now released! You may need to restart your machine to resolve the lingering multiple instances. Note that the Microsoft Edge Update version is different from the Browser version, you should not need to update your browser to see this update. 

Thanks for your posts about these processes, this is not intended behavior and the team is working on releasing a fix. I'll update here when the fix is available so those of you that have deleted/blocked the executable due to these extra processes can update manually. 

Thanks again for your reports, and I'm sorry for my delay in response to this post. 

-Alex

Alex (she/her)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 18, 2024 Views 19,029 Applies to: