Microsoft Store/Game Pass Ultimate and Family

I have several issues and I'm not sure if they are related.  I'm hoping someone from Microsoft can help me.  I've spoken to 3 different people over the past month and have gotten no resolution.  I was even told by Microsoft that my concern would be escalated, but I never heard back.  Here's the issue:

I have 4 folks on my Microsoft Family account.  We use our accounts on both Xbox and the PC.  I've had Xbox Gold for years.  My son was on the PC and he used to play Minecraft all the time.  I have since bought a new PC (we did not use Windows Accounts on the old Windows 7 PC.  We now have Windows 10.)  Anyway, while searching on the store in his account, he saw that Minecraft was available on the PC for free if you have a GamePass Ultimate subscription.  So I upgraded my Gold to GamePass Ultimate.  Needless to say, when we went to run Minecraft, it kept asking him to purchase it.  But if I logged onto the PC with my account, it was available to me.  Needless to say, he was upset.  He decided to go down to his Xbox and play some of the other games that are included with the GamePass Ultimate subscription.  (The Xbox the kids use are configured as the Home Xbox).  To our surprise, it was telling him that he needed a GamePass account, even though his account is part of my family account.  After 3 weeks of fighting this, I decided that I would just go ahead and pay the $30 and get him Minecraft on the PC.  So, I signed into my account (since I'm the one authorized to pay for it), I purchased Minecraft, installed it, and made sure it worked.  I then logged off of my account, signed into his account, and guess what!  Minecraft was not there.  When we went to the store to see the status, rather than giving me the option to INSTALL (which is an indicator that the store recognizes that you already purchased it), it gave me the option to buy it!!  I already bought it!!!  Why would I buy it again?!?!

So I don't know if the issues are related or not, but it seems that even though people in my family are supposed to have access to the features and functions that I have purchased, they don't - on both XBox and PC.  Please help.  I've spent money on things that I can't use and it's frustrating!!

The issue here seem to be regarding the use of the child's account in relation to the parent account. Do you both have MS accounts? Are they related as child and parent account? Did you purchased the game on the MS store?
Game ON!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I thought the same thing.  I have 4 accounts - mine is the primary, I have a 2nd adult account, and 2 children accounts.  I've removed all relevant restrictions to try and troubleshoot the issue.  But the other adult account has the same problems.  And yes, I did purchase the game from the Microsoft Store.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The following instruction i sent to another person in the same boat, make sure to install the games on the pc with your account before doing the following.

1. make sure all the kids accounts are listed in the family section of your account.

2. sign into one of their accounts on the pc.

3. open the store/gamepass and select the account at the top, sign out and sign with your account.

4. select the game and download, it will look like it is downloading and will suddenly install and appear in the menu.

5. log out of the store and sign back in with their name.

6. Log off the pc and log back in, rinse and repeat for each account.

7. All enjoy the game.

Play More Live More

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked.  Thank you.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for letting us know that the issue has been fixed. We'll be locking the thread as the issue has been resolved. If you ever require any help with any other issues please feel free to come back to the Xbox Forums for further assistance. For those reading this thread, if the troubleshooting steps listed above didn't help resolve the issue, please feel free to create a new thread asking for assistance. When the new thread is created please copy and paste the URL to this thread showing that the troubleshooting steps listed above didn't fix the issue.  

Thank you and have a great day! 

(V) (°,,,,°) (V)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 353 Applies to: