unexpected free gift from xbox live

2 days ago i received an email containing 400 ms points.

It said it was a free gift for purchasing an xbox LIVE subscription.

However i wasn't expecting this and i dont remember doing anything specific to earn it so i am hoping someone here can let me know what i did to earn them.

I find it strange as my wife and son also have gold accounts but they didnt receive any gift points.

Cheers,

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Hey there Kitanode! I understand you got the gift of surprise points. That's great! These points probably came from a Dashboard promotion that you took part in. Did you recently purchase a discount or advertised Gold subscription from the Dashboard? More likely than not, the points were a bonus for that. I hope this helps, thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I received three of them over the space of three days, first one titled 'Here is your gift from Xbox LIVE' and the last two titled 'Oops. Here is your gift from Xbox LIVE'. The thing is, they were all sent to an email address that hasn't been associated with my LIVE account for over 6 months. In fact, the reason I changed the email address associated with my LIVE account is because my account was hacked, and points were purchased with my paypal account.

The emails also ask you to click a link and then sign in to your LIVE account. Surely Microsoft would never ask you to do this. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Remus! Regarding your email address, can you check here (live.xbox.com/.../ContactPreferences) to see if it is still set as your contact email? If so, you can change it there.

Also, these emails are legit. The button just takes you to a page and loads in the code for you. To be safe, you can open the browser first, navigate to the website on your own, and log in. Then go back to the email and click the link again. Does this help at all? Let me know, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.