disabling ipv6

i would like to disable ipv6 on my xbox one 

|

Hi Razql cC, 

IPv6 is most often controlled by your router and not on your Xbox, but you can manually set your DNS and IP on your Xbox to point to your router. 

IPv6 is a bit better than IPv4 in the sense that it doesn't use NAT. But has been known to cause problems on the Xbox One. 

I suggest you check your router settings to disable it. Depending on the router you have, you should be able to turn it off in the Advanced Settings listed as IPv6

Darkist1
Xbox Ambassador

Xbox: Darkist1 | Mixer: Darkist1 | Twitter: Darkist89

9 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You can't (and shouldn't) disable IPv6 on the Xbox One. 

The Xbox One mainly uses IPv6 to transfer it's multiplayer data, however, if IPv6 is not natively available, it'll use Teredo to tunnel IPv6 through IPv4. 

So even if you only have IPv4 in your network, the console will still use IPv6. 

Is there a specific reason why you wish to disable IPv6? Since IPv6 is actually better for multiplayer gaming, you would want to have it enabled.

Did my post help you? Please click on "Yes" below or choose it as the answer to your problem. Thanks! (ᵔᴥᵔ)

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you elaborate on your reasoning? IPv6 is far superior to IPv4 at this point, and even the issues which were occurring on Xbox One when IPv6 first began to be available now appear to be worked out. If IPv6 appears to be causing issues, it is entirely possible that it's an issue on your ISP's side. When mine first started making IPv6 available through their DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 gateways, there was some difficulty with the router not being sure which one to assign to a given device. I often ran into a "strict" or "moderate" NAT even though I was showing an IPv6 address, because the router was also assigning an IPv4 address, and that was resulting in the NAT conflict. I could forward the ports for the IPv4, but it was still an off-and-on issue. Since my ISP has resolved those issues and fully switched over to IPv6 for all compatible devices, I haven't had a NAT issue or any other multiplayer problems for 2 years now.

Let us know if there's something we can help you work through!

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, 

We will be locking this older thread due to it being revived by a new post. If the issue is on going, we recommend creating a new thread detailing the issue at hand and any troubleshooting steps (if any) you’ve tried so far. We will be more than happy to answer any questions. Thank you and happy gaming!  

Regards,
XBF Amber M
Microsoft Agent | Moderator
(๑•ᴗ•๑)♡
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll." ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 22, 2021 Views 5,540 Applies to: