Your payment instrument could not be authorized. Please contact your provider, or try a different payment option.

I'm trying to buy 4000 Xbox live points and I keep getting the message:

"Your payment instrument could not be authorized. Please contact your provider, or try a different payment option."

I added my paypal account as well as a credit card and they BOTH give me the same message.  I called support and they said it had to do with my bank.  I called the bank and they have not even received any requests from xbox so they have not denied or approved anything.

After resetting my modem, router and console as instructed by support I’m still unable to purchase points.  ( I also tried clearing the system cache as per the support forum instructions to no avail)

A few attempts later I’ve began noticing that this might be a certificate issue on xbox.com side?  I received a error message in the form of a pop up window with the following info:

Secure connection failed

www.xbox.com:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

This could be a problem with the server’s configurations or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.

If you have connected to this server successfully in the past the error may be temporary and you can try again later.

Looking at the details the certificate is issued to:

Common Name (CN) A248e.akamai.net

Organization (O) Akamai Technologies, Inc.

Serial Number 07:27:69:D2

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

As for the points, if you are in the US, one work around would be to buy them off of amazon.com. They will email you the code after the charge clears.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Same thing here with the secure connection certificate. I just changed to a family pack and it billed me for that bank doesn't know what's going on either.

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the same problem after removing my paypal then trying to re add it and get that:

Secure connection failed

www.xbox.com:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

This could be a problem with the server’s configurations or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.

If you have connected to this server successfully in the past the error may be temporary and you can try again later.

It says it's only authorised or something to some shifty looking name.  Microsoft what is going on.... again?

Sorry this didn't help.

same here. i tried to buy points but paypal not even received any requests from xbox ,paypal says could be xbox problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

its not a browser issue because it is now doing the same thing to me on both my laptop and 360. this is obviously been an issue for a while because i copied and pasted the

"your payment instrument could ot be authorized. Please contact your provider, or try a different payment option." into google and there were loads of threads

Sorry this didn't help.

I also tried to purchase the points through the console and I get the same message.  I tried three different browsers, Firefox 6, IE 6.0.2900 and IE 8.0.6001 with no luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hiya Count123123 - Have you tried another web browser, if your getting this issue in Internet Explorer, try FireFox, or Chrome. Let us know if that helps at all (additionally try to buy the Microsoft points from the console itself)

Sorry this didn't help.