Yeah, But Can U Drive That Fast w/o Assists??

My little cousin relishes the fact that he's got me beat on a large number of tracks in Rival Mode and in the Hotlaps under Freeplay.  So, all in all, he's legitimately faster than I am according to the unspoken rules of the game.  He's rubbed my face in it for a number of weeks now too, LOL, the little punk.  My thing is this, if he were to drive without assists he wouldn't be anywhere close to being as fast as his times show.  Nowhere as fast as me for that matter either.  Worst of all, this past weekend I brought my favorite Pontiac to the line and he edged me out 3 races in a row.  I thought my ears would fall off with all the, "you're too old..."  and "... you're as slow as your cars" and blah, blah, blah.  LOL  He layed it on pretty thick.  Anyhow, he got under my skin.  I felt like slapping him upside his head but instead I mearly challenged him to race me without his precious, race saving assists.  He wouldn't have any of it though.  Go figure.... damn teenagers are too smart to get suckered into making a losing bet these days, LOL.  Good for him.... but still.  I know I'm faster than he is.  I race on a totally different level than he does.  Granted, I've been racing on games like this since Gran Tourismo 1 for the PS1 so my experience level is leaps and bounds above his, but therein lies the rub.... if I'm racing on such a level with no assists why are my times even being compared to those that do??  It almost feels like I'm being cheated..... almost.  I'm well aware that using assists is legit.

I think what I'm going to do is challenge my cousin on his terms.  I'll turn my assists on and show him what's really up.  After driving without them for so long, it'll be like these cars are driving themselves.  The little **** won't even see my gray dot on his minimap 'cause I'm gonna blow his doors off!!

How do you guys feel about the leaderboards?  Think they legitimately compare equal times with equal skill levels by massing them all together the way they do? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

the only time I gain from using assists is using TCS on very powerful RWD or FWD cars.  you're probably going to have to suck it up and practice more to hold your edge, either that or lure him into a lobby where you have the assists forced off...

TCS  is the only assist that will really help. Well that and the brake line...

[quote user="Strunky"]

My little cousin relishes the fact that he's got me beat on a large number of tracks in Rival Mode and in the Hotlaps under Freeplay.  So, all in all, he's legitimately faster than I am according to the unspoken rules of the game.  He's rubbed my face in it for a number of weeks now too, LOL, the little punk.  My thing is this, if he were to drive without assists he wouldn't be anywhere close to being as fast as his times show.  Nowhere as fast as me for that matter either.  Worst of all, this past weekend I brought my favorite Pontiac to the line and he edged me out 3 races in a row.  I thought my ears would fall off with all the, "you're too old..."  and "... you're as slow as your cars" and blah, blah, blah.  LOL  He layed it on pretty thick.  Anyhow, he got under my skin.  I felt like slapping him upside his head but instead I mearly challenged him to race me without his precious, race saving assists.  He wouldn't have any of it though.  Go figure.... damn teenagers are too smart to get suckered into making a losing bet these days, LOL.  Good for him.... but still.  I know I'm faster than he is.  I race on a totally different level than he does.  Granted, I've been racing on games like this since Gran Tourismo 1 for the PS1 so my experience level is leaps and bounds above his, but therein lies the rub.... if I'm racing on such a level with no assists why are my times even being compared to those that do??  It almost feels like I'm being cheated..... almost.  I'm well aware that using assists is legit.

I think what I'm going to do is challenge my cousin on his terms.  I'll turn my assists on and show him what's really up.  After driving without them for so long, it'll be like these cars are driving themselves.  The little turdburglar won't even see my gray dot on his minimap 'cause I'm gonna blow his doors off!!

How do you guys feel about the leaderboards?  Think they legitimately compare equal times with equal skill levels by massing them all together the way they do? 

[/quote]

What class were you racing in? It's pretty much a known fact that the only assist that will make you faster is TCS and that's only in the higher class RWD cars

If I am racing R3 R2 R1 I usually use TCS, other than that, I prefer no assists.  All you have to do is intimidate him with the fact that you do not use assists, technically you should be faster without assists.

Also, are both of you using controllers, wheels, one or the other?  

We're running A-class cars mostly and we both use controllers.  We went at it for two races last night.  5 laps on Maple Valley and I turned all my assists on and promply blew him out of the water.... or rather.... off the track.  Heh, heh.  Both races belonged to me.  So I'm feeling very vindicated right now.  The best part was, I beat him in utter silence.  Once I crossed the finish line, I put my controller down, got up and made some coffee.  I left him on the couch while he finished his race.  After that he even tried it without the assists and while his trigger finger was a little touchy with the gas and brake, he didn't do too badly.  I even let him know.  "You're not too bad" I said, "....for a noob."  To which we both had a little chuckle.  Then I sat down and showed him what I knew.  We had a good night.  He wouldn't give up all his assists but at least he tried it.  He hated the clutch.  LOL.  In the end, I got my vindication and he learned how much more intense racing can be when you have no assists on.  

I run with all assists off, all the time, including the R class cars. Well, except for a clutch. I have the old wireless racing wheel which has no clutch but paddle shifters instead. I honestly don't want to press a button as a clutch. Takes away from the authenticity. Most of the cars I've owned in real life are manuals (including my current daily driver) so I'm terrific with it but a button? Nah, I don't think so.... lol

If you've been racing since the PS1 you should be smooth enough to push the car past what the stability control will allow.  You should, with some practice, be able to out brake an ABS car with standard brakes.  With a clutch, you should jump a 1/2 - 3/4 car length time you shift...  You shouldn't need TCS, but it doesn't really hurt to run it either.

Your experience of "assists make you faster" do not mesh with most people's experiences.  If you have a gold membership try the production hoppers, where no tunes are allowed.  People that don't use assists will be the ones WAY out ahead.  They are most certainly NOT the ones trailing behind.

Something's wrong.  I'm not denying what you experienced (or being a "richard" or starting a flamewar)... But for most people assists are just not faster as long as they can handle the cars properly.

[quote user="DTW Dirty Harry"]

I run with all assists off, all the time, including the R class cars. Well, except for a clutch. I have the old wireless racing wheel which has no clutch but paddle shifters instead. I honestly don't want to press a button as a clutch. Takes away from the authenticity. Most of the cars I've owned in real life are manuals (including my current daily driver) so I'm terrific with it but a button? Nah, I don't think so.... lol

[/quote]I was the opposite, used the MS wheel since FM3, utilized the 'B' button for clutch.  Then upgraded to a Fanatec wheel, CSR Elite pedals with clutch and it took me a while to get used to not pressing the button.  But you are right, the button after using a real clutch now seems ''crazy'' and now do not understand how I managed to do that for so long, ignorance I suppose.  

[quote user="Yo Def"]

[quote user="DTW Dirty Harry"]

[/quote]I was the opposite, used the MS wheel since FM3, utilized the 'B' button for clutch.  Then upgraded to a Fanatec wheel, CSR Elite pedals with clutch and it took me a while to get used to not pressing the button.  But you are right, the button after using a real clutch now seems ''crazy'' and now do not understand how I managed to do that for so long, ignorance I suppose.  

[/quote]

My problem is, after being a very avid Forza player since Forza 1 on the OG Xbox I've just gotten a little burnt out on the franchise. It's still my favorite racing game but I can only tolerate so much. I can't bring myself to spend $300 or more on a wheel when the most I'll use it is 1 to 2 hours per week.

I'm actually car shopping right now and am looking at sport coupes. Now days you can get an auto tranny with manual shifting capabilities to give you that manual feel so that's probably what I'll get this time around. Just test drove a new Hyundai Genesis coupe 3.8 V6 this week with the auto tranny which has manual shifting capabilities. Pretty fun car.

I have to agree with Khronokai's sentiments. If you find that you are quicker with assists on, maybe your driving isn't smooth enough to be taking advantage of the extra performance running with no assists gives you.

It's all about finding the right balance, and discovering which combination of assists gives you the maximum performance out of the car depending on your 'skill' level.