Xbox reads game from disc drive, but fails to load the main game

Hi!

I've been having problems with my disc drive.  Specifically when trying to play downloaded games. The problems started with the free download bundled with Alice Madness Returns (American McGee's Alice). When I tried to play, it got throught the menus and initial cutscene with no problem. But it gave me the "disc unreadable" error as soon as it attempted to load the actual game.

Then, I tried playing Sonic Adventure. Again, it got through the intro video and menus just fine, but it froze on the loading screen of the main game.

I've already tried deleting the cache and reinstalling the games, to no avail.

Also, my disc drive is second-hand. Maybe that has something to do with it, but as far as I've played, it only has problems with the actual games. Game add-ons, save files and the trial for Sonic 4 ep. 2 work perfectly.

Thanks in advance!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

You say your disc drive is second hand? Do you mean that you replaced the hard drive of your xbox with a different one or just that it's a second hand console as opposed to disc drive?

If you have changed disc drive you should note you are not supposed to modify the hardware of your console in any way. You may cause any number of faults especially if it is an unlicenced 3rd party product. You should only have your console repaired by MS to be sure the fault is properly dealt with and can continue to be consulted on further issues. Also note it is against the Xbox Live terms of service to modify hardare in any way.

If it was an official repair or just a second hand console, again it could be any number of issues. I can't think of any other reason than a faulty disc drive and would recommend sending it for repair.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.