Q: How much does the Xbox SmartGlass app cost?
A: SmartGlass is a free app available for Windows Phone, Windows 8, iOS and Android devices.
Q: Why are there two SmartGlass applications in the app store?
A: Just as there is a new game controller and Kinect sensor for the Xbox One, there is a new SmartGlass app specifically for the Xbox One console. The Xbox One SmartGlass user experience is consistent with the new console experience, and it takes advantage of additional capabilities only possible with the new hardware.
Q: Why won’t it work on my device?
A: We built our application to run on a wide array of devices, but needed to focus on a few devices for the best experience. Xbox One SmartGlass supports the following devices:
- Windows PCs and Tablets running 8.x or higher
- Windows Phone devices running 8.x or higher
- iOS devices running iOS 6.x or higher
- Android devices running 4.x or higher
Q: Why can’t I connect to my console?
A: Here are a few things to check to ensure you have a successful connection between your SmartGlass device and Xbox One.
- Make sure Xbox SmartGlass Apps is “On” in Settings/Preferences/SmartGlass Connections.
- Your SmartGlass device needs to be on the same network as your Xbox One Console:
- Make sure you’re not on your cellular/3G/4G network or on a separate wifi/switch. Temporarily disable cellular data if you device has it to ensure you are connecting to your wifi network.
- Make sure you are not connected to your router’s Guest Network
- Make sure you disable Access Point/WiFi Isolation or related feature on your router
- If your Xbox One Console is connected via wired cable, temporarily disconnect the cable and connect the console to the same wifi network that your SmartGlass device is connected to
- Turn off any VPN connection as this may prevent discovery/connection from functioning
- Make sure you are running the Xbox One SmartGlass app and not the Xbox 360 SmartGlass app.
- If none of these steps work, turn off your Xbox One console and unplug it for 30 seconds and restart the console.
- If you are still unable to connect, please post your situation including your network configuration (inc. router model), and SmartGlass device in this forum here.
Q: I'm having trouble signing in with my Xbox LIVE account. How can I get help?
A: If you're having trouble logging into Xbox One SmartGlass, start by making sure you can successfully sign in to Xbox.com in a web browser. If you have trouble there too, try the instructions at www.xbox.com/forgot. Support.xbox.com can also help with common problems.
If none of that works to get you signed in, please contact Xbox Support on Twitter @XboxSupport or the Xbox.com support forum Connecting to LIVE on my mobile device.
Q: Can I power on or turn off my Xbox One console using SmartGlass?
A: Xbox One SmartGlass allows you to turn off the console by holding down the Xbox button in the full screen remote control. Powering on your Xbox from SmartGlass is a feature we look forward to adding in the future.
Q: Why am I unable to enter text on the console using Xbox One SmartGlass?
A: If you’re having challenges, there may be a few reasons why the SmartGlass app is not able to enter text:
- The SmartGlass app will only present the text input keyboard if you are in the full screen remote (entered via the remote button in the bottom right corner of the app).
- Even if a text input box is displayed on the TV screen, you may need to tap on the SmartGlass remote screen in order to actually put the console (and SmartGlass) into text input mode. If you don’t see the keyboard displayed on your TV screen, SmartGlass will not display text input.
- If the console is displaying the on-screen keyboard but SmartGlass is still showing the full screen remote, tap the “B” button in SmartGlass to dismiss the console keyboard then tap “A”/select in SmartGlass to bring the console keyboard back up. This will force the keyboard input to open.
- Multi-line and rich-edit text does not work well in this current release. Trying to edit a long text field (such as email or blogs) may not be optimal in this release of SmartGlass
Q: Can I use SmartGlass to control my game instead of the Xbox One controller?
A: The SmartGlass remote screen and 2nd screen companion experiences may offer partial or full control of a given game if the developers has implemented companion support, but the Xbox One SmartGlass app is not meant to be a replacement for the Xbox One controller in gameplay.
Q: Why can’t I skip or FF/FR a video?
A: We provide our partners with many options a user to engage with content on Xbox One. It is up to the media application to determine which media control operations are available. If an advertisement is playing in a TV show, play/pause may be the only operation available. If it is a live event, it may not even support pause.
Q: Why can’t I see the OneGuide within SmartGlass?
A: Xbox One SmartGlass supports the ability to control your TV’s volume as well as pause/skip live TV/DVR content. We're excited about the SmartGlass features available at launch and look forward to bringing more amazing SmartGlass features to our customers in the future, including OneGuide and universal remote support.
Q: When will OneGuide be available on SmartGlass?
A: We are excited to bring additional features and functionality to SmartGlass in the future, but have nothing specific to announce at this time.
Q: Why can’t I see the collection of My Games & Apps from within SmartGlass?
A: This functionality is not yet available in the Xbox One SmartGlass app. We're excited about the SmartGlass features available at launch and look forward to bringing more amazing SmartGlass features to our customers in the future.
Q: Can I edit and share my Game Clips in SmartGlass?
A: At this time Xbox One SmartGlass can be used to watch Game Clips that you and the community have recorded, but does not support the ability to edit and share.
Q: How do I find out what games and apps have companion experiences available?
A: When you look at the details page either on the Xbox One Console or the Xbox One SmartGlass app, you will see the SmartGlass logo and a “Companion Available” comment. We will also promote games and content with companion experiences in the Xbox One SmartGlass Featured section. In addition, you can visit the Xbox SmartGlass page on Xbox.com for a description experiences available at launch and we will be updating this page overtime as new features become available.
Q: Can I receive push notifications for messages?
A: This functionality is not available in SmartGlass at this time.
Q: I need more help. What information do I need to provide so you can help resolve my issue?
A: If your question isn’t answered here, please tweet @XboxSupport on Twitter or post in the Xbox.com forum 09 - Apps on Xbox One.
Whichever method you choose to contact us, please make sure you have the following information ready:
- The model of your device (e.g. Lenovo Yoga, iPad mini, Nokia 1520…)
- The version of operating system you’re running (e.g. Windows 8.1, Android 4.4).
- The country your console and SmartGlass app are running in
Q: In what languages and countries is the Xbox One SmartGlass app available?
A: The app supports English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Portuguese and is available in all regions the Xbox One console is available.
For more information on SmartGlass, please visit our Xbox SmartGlass Companion Apps page.