Xbox One Live TV OTA Support

I was wondering if I could connect my OTA to the Xbox One and use its TV features.Do you think I will need a digital converter box?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 65 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This was originally on the Xbox website as part of their FAQ; however, I cannot find the source for it:  

"Q: Do I need to have a specific cable or satellite TV provider to watch live TV on Xbox?  

A: Our goal is to enable live TV through Xbox One in every way that it is delivered throughout the world, whether that’s television service providers, over the air or over the Internet, or HDMI-in via a set top box (as is the case with many providers in the US). The delivery of TV is complex and we are working through the many technologies and policies around the world to make live TV available where Xbox One is available."  

You may want to consider picking up a converter box with an HDMI output like the "iView 3500STB DTV Converter Box" on Amazon.  If the Xbox One does not allow custom channels to be used for the built-in IR blaster, then you would still need to use the converter box's TV remote; however, this would still give you the option to watch Live TV through your Xbox One.  

Wish I could have clarified further, perhaps a support representative can clarify further in the morning.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My apologies for the double posting; however, I did some additional digging and came across this information:

To use the OneGuide with your TV and Xbox One, you need the following:

A cable or satellite set-top box with HDMI output

A connection to Xbox Live to download channel lineup information for the OneGuide

An Xbox Live Gold membership

Source: support.xbox.com/.../set-up-live-tv

Keep in mind that you are still able to use a converter box to watch Live TV through the Xbox One the only thing is that you would not be able to use the OneGuide to change the channels.  So keep your remote nearby for optimal viewing.

Sorry this didn't help.

ArsTechnica in their review yesterday used a digital over the air tuner with an HDMI output and it worked.  So the support page isn't quite correct.

Sorry this didn't help.

OTA will work, but there's a few things to do:

1) You need some type of receiver to carry  the OTA signal to your One's HDMI in port

2) Select "broadcast" from the provider list in setup

3) Recognize that some of the OTA receivers might not work especially well

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks guys,I'll dig my converter box out of the closet sooner or later and see if it works.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'd really like an OTA solution here. I've got a SiliconDust HD Homerun tuner which I've hooked up to a Dell PC with Windows Media Center as my DVR. The PC is connected through the HDMI pass through so I can still control the PC with the Mouse.

I'm wondering if I got an IR receiver for the PC, would it work? (one of the drop-down selections is Dell Media Center PC). And would I then be able to control the WMC through the XB1?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using the iview 3500stb as listed above in the thread.  It works exactly like he stated.  I get live TV through my xbox, however I still have to use the remote that it came with to change channels...for now.  Supposedly, a user in another forum contacted iview support and they advised him that they are reaching out to MS to find a solution...Time will tell, lets hope.

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have the iView 3500, you can simply install the Homeworx 150PVT firmware on the iView 3500 in order to get Kinect to speak with it. You can find the Homeworx firmware V10 here: www.avsforum.com/.../71915

and use these instructions to apply the firmware update: forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php

NOTE: your iView remote will no longer work, as the iView box will only work with the new set of IR codes (that Kinect recognizes) included in the firmware update. Also note, Kinect/Xbox One seems to have issue going to digital channels below 10. It can't go to 5.1 or 4.2, it instead will take you to 51 or 42, however channels like 13.1 work just fine :/

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the info.  After I install the firmware do I have to put in "mediasonic" as my satellite/cable provider?  And if so, what is the model number of the box?  Will the xbox one controller be able to select channels on the one guide by doing this?  Thanks for your help, its much appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to go to that link and it wont allow me. I am having the same issue with the iView 3500 also.

Sorry this didn't help.