Xbox One Browser Hijack

I was using the xbox one (Edge) browser yesterday and it got redirected to one of those javascript ransomware/hijack sites where it pops up a message box onload preventing me from closing the tab, changing any settings, open a new tab etc.. As is the browser is completely unusable obviously, as is the intent of the site.

Unfortunately closing the app, restarting, etc... doesn't seem to help as the browser seems to want to always load the last page it was on, which happens to be the "hijack" site. Even running disconnected doesn't help as the page seems to be cached and still fires the javascript regardless of network connection. There also doesn't appear to be any settings for the app (until you open it), which prevents me from having it open any other page.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything that can be done aside from factory resetting my xbox one to get this app back?

Hi Pr0teus,

Sorry to hear about this happening, let's go ahead and try a quick factory reset of the console. Please be sure to keep your games and apps installed when asked to do so during this process. Yes, we know this can be a bit of a pain to try but this should keep that site from showing back up on the console for you.

Thank you! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 49 Applies to: