XBOX One and 1080P/60fps

Before labeling me a troll, you should understand my background.  I once an original xbox live beta tester, been on xbox live since 2001.  I have owned an original xbox, 3 xbox 360's.  I have also had a PS3.  I bought all of my cross platform games on xbox and only used my PS3 for blu-ray movies and for Sony exclusive titles like Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, Infamous, Resistance Fall of Man, etc.  Every other game I bought for Xbox.  So as you can tell I am pretty much a Xbox "fanboy" when it comes to consoles.

I have found it very interesting that when you look at the timeline of events leading up to and post release of the XBOX One that Microsoft's message has changed.

First, we have the XBOX One "facts" website where Microsoft lists 1080p/60fps as something the XBOX One will do like it is commonplace, and yet we are finding out it is the exception not the rule.

Second, we hear Microsoft touting how great Forza 5 looks at 1080p/60fps at launch, Link:  http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/18919/article/microsoft-forza-5-running-at-1080p-60fps-shows-what-future-xbox-one-games-can-be/

Yet every single title since is at best 720P or 900P at 60 fps. Link: http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

We hear from Albert Penello, Microsoft Director of Project Planning, and looking at 1080p/60fps benchmarks is a waste of time, Link:http://leviathyn.com/news/2014/01/24/microsoft-xbox-ones-lack-1080p60-fps-big-deal/

Finally, we hear of a patch coming out freeing up 8% of the GPU to allow developers to further use resources.

My question is, are we ever going to get a definitive answer from Microsoft as to what the XBOX One is capable of so we can make educated decisions as consumers?

HokieMan

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 621 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Does the number mean that much to you? Are you enjoying your Xbox One? I prefer fun over a number, I think all the games I have been playing on One are beautiful. Especially Forza 5, it looks phenomenal. I would quit worrying about it and enjoy the console.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, it does mean that much to me.  I would not have posted if it didn't, besides Microsoft stated even before launch 1080p/60fps.  I purchased the XBOX ONE based on those credentials those facts as they posted.  It is becoming increasing obvious that the XBOX ONE was designed to barely met 1080p/60fps i.e. an exception rather than the rule.  To early to say if I am enjoying it, I may return it, still have time.  Funny you bring up Forza 5, the only game that is 1080p/60fps because of the cloud and the fact that racing/sports games do not require a bunch of detail.

Besides, I want someone from Microsoft to answer honestly and stop with the bait and switch.  The history I gave above is straight up bait and switch.

I will say this, I will be getting a PS4 for their exclusives.  Like I stated in my previous post, I got the PS3 for the exclusives, my xbox 360 game library was 5 times my PS3 library.  That may well be changing with this generation.  Strongly considering getting all PS4 games except for XBOX exclusives and/or games that have a significant online component like COD where XBOX live beats Playstation.

What does this boil down to?  If games don't start coming out as 1080p/60fps for the XBOX ONE I will be rethinking my strategy for which console I buy games for, Sony may be getting more of my money.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your priorities are wrong. Please lock thread

Sorry this didn't help.

Lol who are you to decide what my priorities should be?

Question has not been answered, want to know if the xbox one will handle 1080p/60fps as a rule or exception.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also curious.... My old PS3 looked as good as the Xbox One on games like Call of Duty... where's the Hi Res we were promised...

Sorry this didn't help.

As with any launch games the consoles graphics potential are not truly shown.  As time goes on and programmers learn the systems the games become better and better.  Compare Perfect Dark Zero (360 launch game) to Gears of War or the newer Halo or CoD games-its incredible what the differences are

This continual 60fps benchmark is something that in all reality has little to do with graphical fidelity.  A steady frame rate is much more important.  If having true 60fps is what you require then ditch all the consoles on the market and go build yourself a gaming computer- might as well throw 2 GTX 780's in SLi to ensure all games will run at 60fps with no dips.

Sorry this didn't help.

BusGod

Others would say you are wrong, 60fps provides smoother gameplay increasing players performance and enjoyment.  Besides, I did not say it had to maintain 60fps, XBOX ONE cannot even get there unless you reduce the high definition settings, i.e. 720p.  Per Microsoft, this is a 10-year box yet it cannot even hit the mark of today's tvs.  It should have been shooting for barely hitting 2K not 1080p at 60fps.

No where did I say it had to maintain 60fps at 1080p, besides it can't even hold that unless it is Forza 5.

Again, I am looking for a definitive answer from Microsoft, can the XBOX One (on its own) maintain 1080p/60fps for graphic intensive games such as Call of Duty, Battlefield 4, etc.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well we can agree to disagree- its highly unlikely the X1 or the PS4 will always have 60FPS in 1080P.  It depends on the game, its engine, the amount of time and financial investment the publisher wishes to put in to the game, to get the maximum potential out of the hardware that has been selected .  So again, if that's your priority then go build a gaming rig.  MS answer would echo the above- its up to the publisher.    Of course we all would have like to seen better GPU's in the new consoles, but there are still some tricks to be learned and unlocked, especially concerning the ESRAM on the X1.

I don't believe you will ever be satisfied with console gaming if 60FPS is your requirement.  

Sorry this didn't help.

BusGod

Obvious you didn't read the original post.  You don't have to build a gaming PC to get 1080P/60fps out of the PS4.  Per IGN here are the games running at 1080P/60fps on the PS4:

Call of Duty Ghosts

Diablo 3

FIFA

Flower

Killzone Shadow Fall

NBA 2K14

Resogun

Compared to the XBOX ONE:

Forza 5

FIFA

NBA 2K14

Link: www.ign.com/.../PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Further Microsoft states in their "Get the facts' link that the XBOX ONE will do 1080P/60fps but we are quickly learning that is going to take either developers possibly squeezing everything possible out of the XBOX ONE or cloud computing.  I want to know what the answer is, what do developers have to do to get that out of this box.

Suggest you read before going off on someone.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hokie- No one is going off on anyone- relax.  My response gives you the data that you are going to get.  If your expecting MS to chime is with anything more than they already said then you are mistaken.  Sadly no one is going to give you an answer you are going to be satisfied with.  Both of my answers are on point to your question, both contain accurate answers with information that is the best that is available, and both gave you an option.

I hope you find your console enjoyable as in the end, that is what it is about.

Sorry this didn't help.