Xbox made perfect curved scratch round my disc...

So I put Oblivion on today, looking forward to Skyrim coming out next month. I had been playing on it an hour or so, and died, so I reloaded a save, but it crashed on the loading screen... okay, I thought, Oblivion does crash from time-to-time, no big deal. I reloaded the game, and tried again, it did the same again. I removed the disc and went to wipe it with a soft cloth as recommended by Xbox troubleshooting guides, but I noticed that on the disc surface, a curved scratch spanning most of the disc had appeared!

I put it back in, and as the game was going to the title screen, the Xbox said it couldn't read the disc, and asked me to remove it, clean it and try again, so I did, but now it won't load full stop, it just says it can't read the disc (unsurprisingly - given that scratch).

What can I do now? Surely it's not normal for an Xbox 360 Elite to randomly mutilate a disc, and it's the first time it's ever happened to me in the 10 months I've had the console. I've never had one problem with the console in the past... am I entitled to a replacement disc from Microsoft?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 66 Applies to:

The scratch that you describe is caused when the console is moved while the disc is in the tray.  You can try copying the game to your hard drive (you'll still need the disc to confirm you own the game) and if it works, it will play the game from the drive.  If that doesn't work, you'll have to buy a new copy.

Also, if your console is standing on end I would recommend laying it down.  If not, find a more stable surface for it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Unless I've developed some kind of telekinetic powers, I would have thought it would be rather difficult to "move the console" from the other side of the room...

I was considering copying the game to the hard drive (wish I'd done it a lot sooner now to be honest), but I doubt it would be able to successfully read from a disc that has been scratched to the extent that this one now has. I don't know, I might give it a try at some point, will let you know the result. Thanks anyway.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is because you have moved the Xbox Console around while the disc was in it moving.

This can be fixed, easily, go to your nearest Trade N' Games, Gamestop, Etc. And ask to get your disc buffed, it costs about $3.00 depending where you're at.  That should fix all problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

The console doesn't have to be picked up and moved in order to scratch a disk.  There are no bumper pads in several versions of the DVD drives used in 360's that are meant to prevent the DVD from going out of axis during use, so something as benign as someone walking across the floor nearby can cause damage in some cases.

Sorry this didn't help.