xbox live

I have currently been using all the free trial codes I have got and today I ran out. So just now i went to watch something on lovefilm and it wont let me. Now this I think I bang out of order, I already pay a subscription fee for lovefilm but I cant use unless I have live? Also on demand programs I cant watch unless I have gold. I can watch them on other devices for free. Microsoft just being greedy? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Microsoft being greedy is old news, bud.

You don't get the services you pay for if you don't pay for them.

I have only had xbox for a month so Im new to microsoft, but I didnt think I would have to pay extra for something I already pay for. Oh well.

Unfortunately this is how Microsoft and Xbox Live Gold works. In order to use most of the services you will be required to have a gold membership. It's not being greedy, it's just the way they do things. You are paying for the maintenance and upkeep of MS servers. On the other hand if you had a PS3 you would be able to use these services free of charge, but may suffer lower band width and lag. PS3 servers are prone to lag and lower bandwidth. You get what you pay for. And in the end MS has better servers.

[quote user="AlphaNobleOmega"] if you had a PS3 you would be able to use these services free of charge, but may suffer lower band width and lag. PS3 servers are prone to lag and lower bandwidth. You get what you pay for. And in the end MS has better servers.[/quote]

It works perfectly fine on ps3,i use the apps all the time.

[quote user="AlphaNobleOmega"]Unfortunately this is how Microsoft and Xbox Live Gold works. In order to use most of the services you will be required to have a gold membership. It's not being greedy, it's just the way they do things. You are paying for the maintenance and upkeep of MS servers. On the other hand if you had a PS3 you would be able to use these services free of charge, but may suffer lower band width and lag. PS3 servers are prone to lag and lower bandwidth. You get what you pay for. And in the end MS has better servers.[/quote]I use my PS3 quite a bit for media, due to it being my blu-ray player.

I've never experienced the issues you describe. I am in the UK though.

Using A "trial" is your issue.......  A trial is simply not the same as a paid membership.   GOOD LUCK!

Yes I know its a trial. But I dont see why I have to pay for live to watch something im already paying for(lovefilm) just to watch it via the xbox.

Because Microsoft use the video services from other companies to add value to the Gold subscription, all the while making their video service free for all levels of membership.

You shouldn't have to pay to access third party apps but that is the how Microsoft likes to do things lock everything behind a paywall. It won't change anytime soon either unfortunately so I suggest you watch luvfilm on another device if you don't want to cough up for gold membership.

I don't get why $60 a year is such a big deal. Yes it's kind of dumb that some apps don't work, but I really don't get why it's such a hard thing to pay $60 a year. There's even sites that sell 12 month cards for around $50, so there's that.

If you purchase video games, why is it that people complain so much about a $60 yearly fee?