Xbox LIVE "wouldn't have made it" without Halo

So I read this article and Bungie's studio manager has made that claim.

I'm not a big Halo fan anymore, but I have to agree with this guy. Sure CoD is popular and so is Gears of War, but without Halo, I don't see it being nearly as popular. If Xbox LIVE did survive, I don't think it would be the price it is today. What do you guys think? Is he right or not?

"I think Xbox Live wouldn't have made it. I don't think the Xbox would be where it is today without Bungie and without Halo," Ryan said. "As a group, we provided both technical and creative guidance and thought leadership that really pushed the limits. We weren't just a game developer using the service. We were integrated in the design of the service and how it worked. Systems for groups and matchmaking and skill ranking were all things that were pushed the furthest and the hardest by us.”

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

XBL and FPS MP games in general wouldn't be where they're today without Halo.

I think they would. Call of Duty and Battlefield have definately left thier stamps on the FPS genre and they probably would have just shaped it has Halo did.

This topic is odd because it's justa big "What If"?

Well....Halo...Did start FPS's....right?

^^ Halo didn't start FPS's, but they definitely made online mp for consoles what it is today.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Well, they created Halo, which undoubtedly helped sell Xbox and LIVE to an extent, so I suppose they're right. Although it is conspicuous timing as the comments on the article pointed out, but still... Praise Bungie <3

I seriously doubt that xbox live would not have made it without halo. I am sorry, but i just do not buy it for a second.

I was looking through the user comments on that site, and this one made me laugh.

-

"To bad they almost killed Xbox LIVE by releasing Halo: Reach". lol

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

halo didn't make XBL, but it did make xbox a name to be feared. I think live would have survived without halo though, assuming the xbox in general was still successful, which I think it would have been.

If it wasn't Halo, it would have been COD or some other FPS game that made XBox Live successful. I had been playing single & multiplayer FPS games for several years on the PC and it was easy to see that was the direction the market was heading. In fact, by the time XBox & Halo rolled around, I was already starting to feel a little burned out by FPS games... so Halo sat on my shelf for over a year before I finally pulled it off and played it. However, for console gamers, it was new and exciting and they ate it up.

Though that's being a bit cocky, nobody can really deny that claim either.