Xbox Live Battlefield 3: Lag and hit detection worsens when RTP traffic increases

To monitor my Xbox Live traffic while playing Battlefield 3, I shared my Internet connection from my laptop to my 360, and then monitored the traffic to my 360 IP address using Microsoft Network Monitor.  When playing, I found that hit detection was best when there was little or no RTP traffic, and likewise lag was not as problematic.  When RTP traffic increased, hit detection became worse and lag increased.  The RTP traffic was identified with multiple different payload types:  dynamic, DVI4 Audio, CN Audio, G723 Audio, MPA Audio, and others.

Lag has often been explained as a problem with the end-user's connection, however, this is not the case.  A friend and I were playing on the same team on the same map and encountered the same problems at roughly the same time from different Xbox 360s at different physical locations on different networks.  The only explanation I have is that he and I were both getting hit with the same RTP traffic from the EA server at the same time.

Seeing as how the problem often comes and goes, as I and several thousand others have reported, I am wondering if the RTP traffic could be the ultimate reason for weird-butt lag issues that just seem to crop up for no readily apparent reason.

Are there any other uber-nerds out there who have done similar testing and seen similar results?

I'll be glad to post an excerpt from my network monitor captures if anyone is interested.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sorry, way too techy for me but I can say the Hit Detection in BF3 is pretty bad and very inconsistent. It can go from a really "good" Match to absolute garbage in a matter of seconds. Most of the time even mid way through a Match. Probably one of the greatest reasons I really don't play it too much anymore (besides the garbage Update).

Right on.  I often see the same exact thing.  Had to really geek-up my network knowledge to try and track this down.  Just hoping against hope that someone smarter than me and with more networking experience has tried similar tests.  At the very least, I want to get above the tier 1 support folks at Microsoft and have their engineers look into this.  Not that I hate the tier 1 folks.

I found that I have the same problem occur on games like Call of Duty and Halo, so having it happen on BF3 is not an isolated problem.

And just for additional info, RTP stands for real time protocol.  Mostly used for streaming media which we all know has the potential to really bog down networks.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Real-time_Transport_Protocol

EA / Origin uses there own servers for gaming & you use EA / Origin Accounts for login in some games.. [ie Army of Two, or battle field log on BF3]..

The lag comes from routing times through nodes or routers on EA side to XBOX LIVE! Peer Point, to your ISP & then to your console etc...  With these new Rent A Server BS, Peoples ISP connections, also stuffs up the main server & can effect your connection...

BF3 Is still glitching for me & I refuse to play it now...  It still fires prematurely, while standing to prone, won't sprint or sprints then fires any weapon you have in your hand [leaving me open for kill shots or killing myself with RPG], vehicle gunner position still has controller issues where you press the trigger & let go, then it won't fire & all of a sudden spends the entire belt of ammunition then reloads automatically & does it again..

BF3 is the Worst game of the Year..  

Agreed that there is a time delay to send/receive all traffic, however, something has to be causing the problem to occur.  If a problem with my connection only, then my friend should not have encountered the problem at the same time.  In BF3, I've often seen where an entire side gets destroyed by lag, not by bad gameplay.  In even the next match, that team that was destroyed would turn around and become the destroyer.  If the problem were individual connections, then the lag would be theoretically balanced on both sides and fairly consistent, and I would think that would be what the developers would code lag compensation to correct.  But the inconsistency with BF3 and other Xbox Live games is the only thing that appears to be consistent.

If your in a Gamer Hosted lobby, everyones connection is relying on the hosts ISP connection too & a whole side will lag etc.. [Hosts side gets lag first]

I've seen the problem happen in games hosted on the official EA servers.  And with BF3, I believe they are not peer-to-peer connections, all players connect to the dedicated server.

[quote user="Ape of Wrath"]Agreed that there is a time delay to send/receive all traffic, however, something has to be causing the problem to occur.[/quote]Here is what I have noticed while playing BF3 (in specific). With RTP being the most active from say any Streaming Event on a Network (like using Party Chat), it seems to be worse.

For example, when I'm playing simply with Randoms (no Party Chat and/ or Mic) I seem to have the most consistent Hit Detection. But when I play with Friends in Party Chat all of a sudden Players that drop from just looking at them are "gods" among men now.

In short, I'm wondering if it is Party Chat now (RTP) taking away available Bandwidth and causing some of the issues?

[quote user="NanoTechSoldier"]If your in a Gamer Hosted lobby, everyones connection is relying on the hosts ISP connection too & a whole side will lag etc.. [Hosts side gets lag first][/quote]BF3 Network (from what I understand) was made a little on the "goofy" side of things. The Connection to the Map and Players (Locations and such) are determined and evaluated at the Dedicated Server. But the actual Hit Detection itself is based on a Client/ Host Network Architecture. Meaning Player distance will become a factor in Hit Detection but not the Characters actual Location on the Map.

To add to all of this, the Suppression Effect also compounds the issue being Client/ Host Detection. As the accuracy can be effected prior to the Event itself. Meaning, my rounds are being told they have little accuracy even though the Visual Effect has not yet started.

It's all to do with time stamping... If you have a higher ping time than the other person.. Your shot will be time stamped after the other players shot... [if you were both shooting at once etc] so it's more an end-user problem, combined with server routing times [time it takes routers to route data between ports etc]

About the Party chat... It's realy being processed & ported through multiple servers via peer points...  Peer Points, can & will get congested... But BF3 programming is bollocks though & needs debugging...

If you have packet loss on your connection with high ping times, it will effect RTP too...