Xbox freezing problem!

Hey guys. So my Xbox has been having these problems for a while now. Everytime I get a used game, my Xbox won't play it. It will either freeze while loading up, or give me the "Disc Unreadable" message. As of lately though, new games have been having problems too. I recently bought Diablo 3 and tried to install it to the hard drive (because that fixes the problem), but it would stop around 42% or so. It would also freeze on start up. When I took the game back and got a new copy, the game wouldn't install, but it would work and not freeze. I bought GTA V the other day as well. Same thing happened. Tried installing the first time, didn't work. Got a new copy, installed the first disc and it worked fine, besides the "The game was restarted due to a problem with the storage device where the game data was installed. Please replace the storage device and re-install the game data if issues continue to occur," problem. Now what's funny, is GTA V would work fine. When I tried to play Diablo again after playing GTA, it wouldn't work. I had to get another copy of Diablo. Now that I got the new copy of Diablo, it works but won't install, and now GTA doesn't work even though it's already installed. It freezes and restarts as soon as the game starts up. I do not believe it is an overheating issue. I have other games that work fine on the Xbox without being installed either. It doesn't make any sense to me. Does anybody know anything about this? I personally think it is a disc reading problem.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Thats what it sounds like but try clearing the system cache to see if that helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi try deleting the game from your hard drive and any non essential saves (if any) and download the game again

You could also try deleting any dlc as this has caused a couple of issues in the past, the content can be reinstalled when your game is up and running by viewing your purchase history.

Finally try the old favourite of clearing you cache as below:

support.xbox.com/.../clear-system-cache

Sorry this didn't help.

I have deleted the system cache. I have re-installed the game. I have deleted a ton of items from the hard drive. Nothing seems to work.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem I have the core console I think that the game is too advanced for the old console

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Nasty,

Sorry to hear you've been having issues with your console playing games.

There are a couple of things that you may want to double check for this:

• Have you tried the solutions in our Disc Drive Troubleshooter?
  • Do Arcade games or Games on Demand have the same freezing errors?
  • Can you try playing your discs on a different console? 
  • Are you able to try installing the game to a USB drive and playing from there?
  • Can you play other games besides GTA with the Hard Drive removed?

From what you've described it sounds like there may be an issues with your disc drive or hard drive. Those steps will help us narrow that down. 

Please let us know how that all goes and we'll work from there. 

Sorry this didn't help.