Xbox disk errors on other console.

Hello,

wasn’t sure to put this under "using my console" or "playing my game" so feel free to move mods and apologies in advance if that’s the case. 

Anyway, we have to consoles in our house, one Elite and one Arcade or whatever it is called with the 20 GB drive and white tray. But the issue is with the white one, it is not connected to Xbox live, and has been in the past as a friend gave me it, but he said it was noisy whilst playing games, that didn’t really bother me so to cut a story short I ended up with it. The Xbox played games fine until I installed the dashboard update (December) as I was told some new games would not play without this update. I updated the Xbox and since then the Xbox has read game disks a few times (about 1/40 times) but it displays "open tray" on the dashboard like there is no disk. I have also been suggested to try opening the tray and closing the tray with no disks as this moves the laser apparently. I have also tried reading music disks and DVDs, and it reads them 100% of the time with the exception of the one scratched disk that I tried.

Therefore, I was wondering if anyone had any solutions. 

I have tried the steps on this site using that step-by-step wizard thing with no effect it seems. 

Note: 

The console will be out of warranty I am not even going to bother checking, as I know it will be seen, as it is practically the oldest model. I also would not see the point in paying for a repair, as it would just be better to buy a new console with no faults, and from what I have seen it is about £40-50 to get a repair from Microsoft, which frankly is a bit of daylight robbery. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hey Jeff, thanks for the thorough post. From the sound of it, you're having multiple game discs that are prompting the 'open tray' message on your console, correct? If the troubleshooter you mentioned doesn't resolve the issue, then I'm afraid you're correct--the console will need repair. If you'd like to purchase a new console, let us know if we can answer any questions about different packages or console options. :-)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.