Xbox 360 won't read my games...

I'm having trouble playing games on my Xbox 360. I was playing Call of Duty Black Ops just fine the night before last, and this particular Xbox 360 that I am playing on has acted perfectly fine since I got it last year (after sending in and getting other Xbox 360s about once or twice a year since I got my first system back in  06...). Well, until yesterday. After being bored the whole day I decided I had nothing better to do but continue trying to beat Black Ops on veteran, so I turned on the console as normal, and it brought me to the dashboard, instead of directly to the game as I half-expected. But I didn't think much of it. I signed in on my profile, then selected "open tray," saw that my game was already inside the disk tray, selected "close tray,"  and then it said "reading." Then instead of saying "Play Call of Duty Black Ops," it simply said "Open Tray" again. No error message, no red lights, nothing. It was as if there was nothing in the tray. So I opened and closed the tray and read the wonderful word "reading" a few more times to no avail, I was still on my dashboard.

I took out the disk, examined it...looked clean, but I wiped it down anyway. Tried again, still nothing. I then went ahead and tried a few more games, I slipped in Modern warfare 2, and then Fallout 3, and the console responded to them the same way: nada.

So I went ahead and called customer support (after accidentally dialing as a 1-866 number and getting a delightful message from a phone *** line). I spoke with a lovely fellow named "Daniel" (at least that was his English name) who tried to help me out. I told him exactly what I just told you (minus the phone *** business) and then he began giving me some suggestions. He asked if I had a Kinect. I do not. He asked if I had anything else attached to the console. Just a wireless adapter that I've had for years and that was it. Then he told me to clear my cache. I did. Game still did not play. He told me to open up my Games folders to see if I had any corrupted files, as he said those could affect whether or not all of my games can be played (okay...). Sure enough, I saw one file under "Halo 3" that had a yellow warning symbol next to it (it was a yellow circle with a white exclamation mark in the center...Daniel seemed to be puzzled by this, as he was expecting me to find a yellow triangle instead). Nevertheless, I deleted said file, checked for others like it, found none. I turned off the console, turned it back on, tried my game again. Still did not play. Still on my dashboard.

Finally Daniel suggested I remove the hard drive and see what happens. I did. Tried the game. Did not play. So he told me that the only option left would be to send in my console for repairs.

I kindly told Daniel that I did not want to do this quite yet. I wanted to wait a day or two to see if the console would miraculously heal itself (dumb as it sounds, it has done this before...on one particular Xbox 360 I had, I got some red lights one day, got angry, shut it off, a week later I tried it again, and it was fine). Well folks it's been about 24 hours and it's still the same! (was it realistic of me to expect otherwise? probably not).

SO. Before I end up shipping this machine to McAllen, TX in a cardboard coffin for the five zillionth time, I just wanted to know if anyone else had this same problem, and if anyone could give me some tips. I saw the sticky in this forum that seemed to address the problem I was having (perfectly titled "My console says 'Open Tray' or won't read my disc"), but I was disappointed to see that the advice it lists is pretty much the same as the advice Daniel gave me last night.

I am still a bit baffled by the fact that just two jolly nights ago I was picking off Spetsnaz from the rooftops of Kowloon without a hitch, saved and quit normally, retired to bed, and then when I picked up the controller the next day, this happened. I guess that's how all of these problems happen: suddenly. I just don't understand what could cause it. Anyway, please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks a blunch.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 25 Applies to:

Nevermind. Seems like my console miraculously healed itself. Thanks for reading!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mine also does this. It also seems to miraculously fix itself and then break again. I have noticed that if I turn on the xbox 20 min to a half hour before I want to play, that it seems to read disks then.  Hopefully this might work for you also

Sorry this didn't help.

If you find that your console is consistently having issues reading a disc (especially if it is one particular disc), I would recommend installing the game to your hard drive.  What this will do is allow your xbox to simply read a small portion of the disc to verify rights, rather than having to constantly access the disc to load the game.

Sorry this didn't help.

try a lens cleaner?

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, everyone! Please be mindful of the original post date of a thread before replying. This one is over a year old. Thanks in advance for your diligence!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had the same happen to me. The disc drive does not read the disc because possible dust on the lens, the rails are dusty or jamming. Or a motor is not spinning the disc. I have fixed this issue only to find it happens 2 or 3 weeks later where i have to open it up again. I would just send it in and have them fix it because of the hassle it is to take it apart and put back together. Good luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

i have that same problem, but i have not tried any of the things listed.  i have netflicks on my console as well and i notice when i go to netflicks and watch a few shows and then i go back and play cod after about the second time it says reading it finds the disk.  

Sorry this didn't help.