Xbox 360 S overheating issues...

Lately my boyfriend and I have been having issues with our Xbox 360 S. 90% of the time when he plays Battlefield 4 the Xbox will shut off, and the power brick will display the red light. This morning he tried to play bf4 and after 30 minutes the console powered down (power brick showed red light.) I watched 2 movies on Netflix later while he was a work without issues. Tonight, he was playing for 10-15 minutes and the console shut down. (Red light was displayed yet again.) We also have this issue when we play Borderlands 2 (online only) about 40% of the time at max. However, I can watch movies for 8 hours straight on Netflix, or the system video player with no issue, and the power brick won't be warm to the touch at all.

I know about proper console placement. The Xbox is NOT on the carpet. We have our Xbox out where it gets proper ventilation, and we have moved it several times just in the off chance it wasn't. We've used canned air to clean the fans. We just need help! What is going on here?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Sorry about your problem there.  Since the red light is coming from the power brick and not the console, this doesn't seem to me to be an overheating issue.  Sounds more like a faulty power supply.  Games draw more power than when watching video, which is why the console only powers off when playing games.

If the console was faulty, a red light would appear on the power button of the console. The Power brick would not show a red light.

You need to Order a replacement Xbox 360 power supply. from the Xbox Support.

Note: Console registration is required to replace the power supply under warranty (the power supply warranty is the same as your console warranty). You can register your console from this link.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just wanted to add something else to this, Check your power brick for any obstructions inside.  There is a fan inside the power brick and if the vent is blocked it can shut your system off.  Check that both ends are not blocked.  

If there are no obstructions, then I would suggest the next best step and that is to order a new power supply.

Hope that helps as well. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.