Xbox 360 issue using HDMI cable for 1080p !

Aight so I am new to these forums, first post so i am not exactlysure of where this topic goes but it fit the forum name/ support so Im trying here first, move this if neccesary thanks, 

Ok so Iv been playing games on my HDTV ( LG 32LS3450 to be exact)  for some time now with my "Slim" Xbox 360 version for some time now. Im into mainly sports & FPS type games but like any good game etc. I recently purchased a HDMI cable because I realized that my console has a HDMI port & also my TV does as well. So I grew tired of playing games in 720p resolution, knowing I could upgrade in picture quality & really start enjoying my 360, also my TV..

Today I connected the new HDMI cable to my console into the matching port on the TV. Went through the steps of configuring the new resolution via google searches an a guide here on this site also. At first I set the HDMI display settings to auto which went to 1366 x 768p automatically, set 'Reference levels' to extended as it said would be best for HDTV's etc.. Of course the picture on my TV looked many times better so I loaded one of my fav games, NBA 2k12, waiting in anticipation to enjoy the mega difference. The loading them played, then the starting screen did, in the optimal 1366x768 my Tv puts out. Then when the main game menu appeared the screen was SPLIT IN 2 PLACES vertically?! I went back to Xbox home, noticed that the game allows only for 1080p HD max resolution. So I did it all over again switching it back to 1080p, this time put 'Reference levels' to standard just in case. & STILL ended up doing the same thing at the main game menu. Visually, the resolution looks amazing but its SPLIT INTO 2 screens again :(  Frustrated, confused n dissapointed, I looked up my TV & it says it does support 1080p for games (well damn the max reso is 1366x768) 

So I gave up, put the regular componet A/V  cables back, currently leaving it at 720p :( So, Decided to get some help, google searches yielding nothing. So now I'm here, searching for support, in xbox support lol.. What could be wrong guys ? 

Is it my HDTV bugged?The brand new HDMI cables messed up? I ensured everythign was plugged in correctly both ways.. Can't be my Xbox cuz its one of the newer 'Slim' versions that has the HDMI port on it right ?  Please! Any kind of insight, help is appreciated!
Here are the links to both my TV & the HDMI cable I just bought;

TV-  http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-32LS3450-led-tv/technical-specifications

HDMI cable- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LNUZ5I/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 467 Applies to:

If your tv has more then one HDMI port, I would try a different one first. That should help narrow down the problem. If it works on another port, it tells you that the first port has a problem. If you get the exact same thing, its either the cable or xbox. If you have access to another tv with HDMI I would also try it there.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I would like to preface my answer by saying I am in no way a video expert so my answer is ill-advised.

You said your TV automatically went to 1366X768 which extends slightly passed 720p

Your TV specs supports 720p resolution which is 1280X720p

1920X1080p IS 1080p resolution which your tv DOES NOT support

One thing to note is Component cables do not output HD (720p or 1080p) *as far as I know

I also think xbox games only support 720p,

Try setting your xbox to 720P in the settings and using your HDMI. I Really hope this helps bud. I think you were confused a bit on the resolutions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings CouldedMars8474 and Horse Nut Alley

@horse: Supporting a resolution doesnt mean you need the pixel.

This TV suports 1080p/1080i/720p.

720p will be slighly upscaled. 1080i and 1080p will be downscaled. It should be no problem for xbox (which support 1080p) to use this tv hdmi port

@CludedMars8474 You bough a good HDMI cable. But it is HDMI 1.4 cable (cable used for 3D and native 1080p TVs). Xbox supports it. But your TV (for all I read in internet) supports HDMI 1.3. Perhaps you can lend another cable from a friend and try out.

I dont think it is xbox or the tv. In most situations it is incompatible cable.

My first HDMI cable did show only black screen :)

When this dont work, then write again....

Sorry this didn't help.

Also worth noting that if your TV supports it and you have the right cable you can play in 1080p via component HD cable.

Sorry this didn't help.

When I bought my Xbox it came with the normal audio and video cords, but it also had red, green, and blue HDTV cords with a switch on the end the plugs into the 360 to change formats. I suggest looking this up on ebay or amazon. They are 1080p.

Sorry this didn't help.