Xbox 360 is partially online-only

TV/Music Apps = Online Only

Internet Explorer = Online Only

Xbox Game Covers Display = Online Only

Xbox LIVE Indie Games = Online Only

Xbox LIVE Messages = Online Only

___

I am not defending the rumour of Xbox 720 being "online-only" but mentioning that Xbox 360 itself had parts which are online-only. It doesn't matter to me since when I boot it up it's to stay online so I can access and see/play the content.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The issue isn't about online only features, especially when the large majority of the features mentioned here are only useful when online. Internet Explorer isn't worth much offline afterall.

-

The issue is having to be always connected at all times to play your games or simply use the machine at all. Anyone who has dealt with any always online games on the PC knows how big an issue that is.

It has never, ever worked completely and the last two that have caught the public eye, SimCity and Diablo 3, ended up being disasters directly because always online failed miserably.

-

It's all well and good for you or me to have a stable internet connection but always online is a two way street. We'll be completely reliant on MS being able to handle millions of users on their servers at all times and there hasn't been a single instance where this hasn't lead to server crashes from the strain.

=

God help us every time the next big AAA comes out and the pressure craps out the servers for anything from a few hours to a few days to who knows what. SimCity still isn't really sorted, putting back in gameplay features they removed to get the game running. People are still missing cities they've made and even whole regions along with login issues. Last time I booted up D3 about a month ago I was welcomed to an online queue for 20 minutes.

-

Plus all the issues for those without stable connections or no connections and so on.

-

All this not for us but for them to have their online DRM. It doesn't benefit us at all. This is about them taking more and more control away from us and giving it to them. And it's something I will never, ever support again.

This thread is dumb.

Rumours are too, I don't know why people even trust rumours.

-

If there were a rumour back then of PS4 saying it would make pancakes or hamburgers people would probably believe regardless of how unrealistic it is.

yes, because dev kit screens and trusted sources are totally unrealistic. sure it's possible some of the rumors are false, and it's possible those rumors are from old dev kits and microsoft has changed the specs because of public outcry, but don't equate rumors of always on and the other rumors to be the same as pancakes and hamburgers.

Wow.

Internet Explorer is online-only? Gee, I wonder why that might be?

Just pointing this out because it's the worst choice but none of the examples are worth anything at all.

[quote user="BootstrapGolem"]

yes, because dev kit screens and trusted sources are totally unrealistic. sure it's possible some of the rumors are false, and it's possible those rumors are from old dev kits and microsoft has changed the specs because of public outcry, but don't equate rumors of always on and the other rumors to be the same as pancakes and hamburgers.

[/quote]

There are no 'trusted sources' when it comes to rumours. So yeah... pancakes and hamburgers.

When I first got my x box I downloaded a ton of indie games so that if I ever took my console somewhere that didnt have internet I would still have games to play.Then one day my ISP went down due to a storm and I found out I couldnt play anything without a connection.I was so angry .But now I have a ton of retail discs I can play and hopefully will still be able to play offline on the next console

When you download a game or DLC its supposed to be playable by anyone with a gold membership on the console you first downloaded it too.But Epic and Pinball FX2 developers have gotten around this.If i try to play DLC on another gold membership it will tell me the content is damaged or corrupted just so I will pay for it again.If I go back to the original profile and play the same content its not corrupted.When you first begin any game your xbox uploads the lisencing data to xbox lives servers and if it sees you dont own that particular you arent allowed to play.Thats where online only hurts gamers.Full house poker does the same thing.Im sure If I disconnected from live and stopped the lisencing data from reaching the servers I would not be blocked from playing this content though I havent actually checked it out yet.Its a scam for sure .When I go to Toys r US and buy the board game Monopoly I dont buy one for every one in the house and I shouldnt have to do it with video games either.That could get really expensive.

[quote user="IsaacClarkeSNL"]

This thread is dumb.

[/quote]