Xbox 360 hard drive authenticity

Just curious to find out if my hard drive is an authentic Microsoft hard drive. Its a 250 GB hard drive for the 4GB 360 S. It did come with a code to download a free game. The code worked. If anyone could give me an idea if the hard drive is authentic or tell me how to find out, that would be much appreciated. Thanks

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Try to play Halo: Reach's Firefight.

How will this determine it? It lets me play firefight.

I don't even know!

Nah, I'm just kidding. The 4GB won't let you play Reach's Firefight, if I remember correctly, whereas a 250GB one will. Different memory types/something.

As far as whether it's a first-party product, I couldn't say. Did the packaging have any branding for someone other than Microsoft or not? I imagine that would be the best way to check.

It came in the same package as as you would find at a gamestop, wal-mart, etc. I got it as a gift so I cant say for sure where it was bought. So I cant verify that. Im just trying to find out before I rebuy some old xbox games to make sure I can play it.

Ah, OK.

Well, I'd say that it would work, but borrow or purchase one game you know is backwards-compatible to try it out.

It will say Xbox 360 S HARDDRIVE and Microsoft Corporation on the back.There should be a QR Reader code on the back  as well.Also says Made in China. lol

[quote user="Lew1s54"]

Just curious to find out if my hard drive is an authentic Microsoft hard drive. Its a 250 GB hard drive for the 4GB 360 S. It did come with a code to download a free game. The code worked. If anyone could give me an idea if the hard drive is authentic or tell me how to find out, that would be much appreciated. Thanks

[/quote]

I think the way you check is to install it in the console.  Only MS hard drives will fit in the 360. There were no 3rd party ones licensed as far as I am aware. 

[quote user="Tatakai no Kami"]Only MS hard drives will fit in the 360.[/quote]There are many third party hard drives that will fit into the S and E model 360s. Yes they are unlicensed and their reliability could very well be questionable, but they will fit.

The best way to be sure if the drive is genuine is to try and play an Original Xbox game. The third party hard drives lack the partition the emulation files will be downloaded to.