Xbox 360 Cannot Play Music from Store

Ever since setting up an Xbox Music Pass, I have been unable to actually play music on my Xbox 360. Like the poster here, any song I try to play within the Xbox Music App on the 360 is listed at length 0:00/0:00; if I try to play an album or playlist, the entire set of songs is 0:00/0:00.

For what it's worth, my 360 is set up with the same Gamertag as my Windows Phone 8, and if I look at the account settings inside the Xbox Music App on the 360, it lists my proper account credentials, including a paid Music Pass subscription. However, if I look at my Music Pass subscription via xbox.com, my Xbox is not listed as a device from which I've used my Music Pass. My Windows Phone 8 and desktop computer (running Windows 7 and accessing Music Pass via the deprecated Zune client) both are.

Things I've tried so far include:

1) Power-cycling my router and cable modem.

2) Deleting the Xbox Music + Video App on the 360.

3) Deleting and reinstalling Internet Explorer on the 360, a la the thread here. Incidentally, "Share to Xbox" no longer even appears as an option on my phone while playing music; when it did, it always tried to load Internet Explorer on the Xbox, and then produced an error. Playing music from the store via the Music Pass from the 360 has never worked in any case.

4) Deleting the system cache on the 360.

This is, as you can imagine, extremely frustrating -- I moved from Android to WP8 specifically so that I could stream music from an online source through the 360 in my living room, and this has never even come close to working.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

Hey there!  Yeah that's way understandably frustrating.  OK, there's a couple things I want you to try: One will be to get a USB drive and move your profile over to it.  Then remove the USB from your system so that the profile isn't on it at all.  Clear cache and restart your system, then redownload the profile through the sign in screen.  Any good there?  If not, is there anyone else in your home that uses Xbox music?  Will it behave over the console for them?  That'll help us know if it's something account or network specific.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ermine - thanks for the reply!  Unfortunately, I followed your directions but still ended up with the same 0:00 / 0:00 when trying to play music through the store.  Just to clarify, when I got to "download my profile" I assumed you meant to download it from MS's backup, rather than restore what I'd previously moved to the USB stick originally.  I'm the only one in my house with a Music Pass + Live Gold, so I can't easily test my Xbox with another person's credentials.

Sorry this didn't help.

Bump - I was hoping to hear what my next step should be?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Byron! Have you tried adding your Xbox to your Xbox Music device list?

Sorry this didn't help.

As far as I understood, there's no way to do that directly - aren't devices supposed to show up on the list associated with your account automatically, as you use them?  Per Xbox Support (support.xbox.com/.../use-music-pass), you add tablets and phones simply by using the relevant Music Pass client on each.  Is the process different for Xboxes?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Byron, sorry I wasn't very clear. I meant to say have you checked to see it was added? It sounds like it has not been.  

Have you tried downloading the Optional Media Update

Sorry about the confusion, and let us know how that works. 

Sorry this didn't help.

It looks like that worked, thanks!  For anyone else having a similar problem -- while I already had the media update downloaded to my console, it wasn't "registered" to that machine.  It sounded as though this was akin to not having done a license transfer for DLC after replacing / repairing a console, which I had to do several times a few years ago because of RROD-type issues.  After re-downloading such that the update was registered correctly, I was able to stream music from the store.  Thanks a lot for your help!

Sorry this didn't help.

WHOO! Glad you got it working Byron! Thanks for letting us know what worked :D

Sorry this didn't help.