XBLA phased out speculation

What are your your opinions ?  Personally, i am not a fan of  DD ; although there are some arcade games  that are worth it ...only a few of them caught my interest but i almost always end not buying it for be DD . I know here are a lot of gamers that love XBLA games so i would like to know their opinions about XBLA being phased out of Xbox.

[quote]In a new interview, Microsoft's Michael Wolf speculates that Xbox Live Arcade will eventually be phased out as digital distribution matures.

In an interview with Vox Games, Wolf, Microsoft's global marketing manager for XBLA, said that the service might eventually be taken down due to the increasingly blurred line between large-scale retail games and ambitious XBLA games.

When asked if XBLA would eventually be phased out of existence, Wolf answered, "Personally, I'd say absolutely, yes. I think digital distribution has to be like that. I don't think XBLA will be leaving soon. It is an incredible platform. We have XBLA fans, I don't think it's going to be announced anytime soon. One thing Microsoft has proven is that we continue to try and adapt and innovate in experiences."

However, that doesn't mean that the company is turning its back on downloadable games. It would rather be a reaction to the changing market, citing the example of Remedy's Alan Wake: American Nightmare, which in past year's would have been a retail, disc-based game. In the future, as XBLA games become more ambitious and more triple-A games go digital, designating games as "Xbox Live Arcade" games might be a meaningless distinction.

Source: Vox Games via XBLA Fans[/quote]

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/01/microsoft-says-xbox-live-arcade-will-eventually-be-phased-out.aspx

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There are many arcade games I'd rather play over full retail.

-

I don't even get what this is.  800 and 1200 not enough?  They only want downloadable games at $60 or something?

Rampant i think they just mean that it wouldnt go under different tags just normal games still the same prices but without the XBLA and normal games its all under the same tag. If that makes any sense? :P

They are already doing that pretty much, Under new releases all the latest XBLA games are lost amongst the Full retail games available. I know you can change your settings to show only arcade, but it should be seperated by default.

Its a cash cow dunno why they would

[quote user="Judge Bergan"]

Its a cash cow dunno why they would

[/quote]

This. MS loves money and I am sure they have raked in hundreds of millions of XBLA

That article kind of confused me, it sounded like they where just talking about getting rid of the category/name XBLA and not getting rid of the games because the games where getting to a level of triple A status type quality games and your post had the tones of like they where getting rid of the name(XBLA) and the games.

XBLA isn't going anywhere. Most of the games on Arcade are like little bites of much larger games that don't exist. If they got rid of Arcade, they'd need to bunch these games in with the big-boy titles. Why would they do that? They wouldn't dare try to charge $60.00 for some of these Arcade titles so it would make sense that they just leave them where they are. Look. When you go to Arcade, you're probably not going to pay over $15.00 for any game in there. Arcade is where you go when you want a quick hit of something good for a reasonable price. Kind of like how the Indie section is like the gaming version of a dollar store. You know you won't pay a lot for any of those titles because they cap at 400MSP which is about $5.00. People usually hit up Indie games when they just want something to mess around with and/or they have extra points burning a hole in their pockets. You have 3 levels of games to match what you want and what you want to spend and it all works the way it is. You got Indie titles then Arcade and then you have full-blown retail games. They're all sorted right, if you asked me.

[quote user="Elite Rampant"]

There are many arcade games I'd rather play over full retail.

-

I don't even get what this is.  800 and 1200 not enough?  They only want downloadable games at $60 or something?

[/quote]

Actually I think they just want a bit more out of the game. As of now, no XBLA game can be more than 2GB due to a technical restriction. You must wonder how much better some of these games could have been if this didn't exist. Even your average Xbox 1 title cannot stay within this size limit. Just Add Water wanted to bring Oddworld Strangers Wrath to the XBLA but could not do so because it exceeds the size limit and as a result is only available on PSN. The same is true for other games as well such as the Prince of Persia Trilogy. Again. These games are PSN only due to the restriction.

The Gunstringer was originally supposed to be XBLA as well. Since they had more time to make it, Twisted Pixel scrapped it from the arcade and brought it retail so they could polish it and bring more content. It didnt have to be 60.00 either. It's 40.00 retail and also includes Fruit Ninja which is 800 points by itself on the marketplace.

The game I am loving and hating at the same time is Gothem City Imposters. This is such a fun game that has kind of come up short for me due to the lack of content. The game barely squeezes by at 2GB with only a few maps to play. I would have much rather had a 30.00 to 40.00 version with a much better map selection. I have a similar issue with Battlefield 1943.

It's not that we don't want XBLA games. We just want more out of our games that some of you people are willing to settle for just because they cost only 10.00 to 15.00.

The name might be phased out, but the system wont. It's just digital distribution. It's not special. It'll be around for awhile

No loss