Worth getting?

Assassins Creed used to be one of my favourite series. But it joined CoD and sports titles as annual releases. 

I don't have the money to buy a Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, NHL, NBA game every year. I stopped buying CoD games since Black Ops 1 even though I still enjoy the games somewhat I just got burnt out. Last Assassins Creed game I bought was Brotherhood which I loooved. Thought it was amazing. One of my favourite games this gen. Revelations came out and looked kind of meh and heard about the tower defense which made me not get it. Wanted to get Assassins Creed 3 but other games like Far Cry, Mass Effect, Halo and Max Payne ended up taking my attention in 2012 as well as NHL and NBA. I'm still tempted to get it though. However Assassins Creed 4 now is announced for the fall already. I've heard a lot of negative things about AC3 as well except the ship battles which will be a big part of AC4 I imagine. With my current job too I only really have enough time to play Xbox on the weekends too and the Assassins Creed games are loooong. I'm going to be buying Bioshock day one for sure which should take up at least a month of my gaming time. I'm wondering if I should still get into AC3 or just wait for AC4?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

i never played any of the other ones  but i must say this game is fantastic. there is so much to do and the enviroments are stuning.

the combat is very fluid and satisfying, i was confused with the story and the game starts slow but overall in my opinion the game is fantastic!

A.C.3 is ok, that is if you are a hardcore Assassin's Creed fan following the very first game

Not playing AC:Revelations because of the tower defense game is like saying you will not play a game of basketball because they don't have the flavor of Gatorade you like by the bench.

Only the first tower defense game is mandatory as a tutorial.  It takes no more than seven minutes.  The rest can be avoided completely if you train up your assassins and/or do not become notorious (or stay notorious for too long).  I, for example, never played a tower defense game in Revelations with the exception of that first one.  

Personally, I think the series peaked at Assassin's Creed 2.  From there, it really seemed like Ubisoft really didn't know where to go with the story (and it really shows during the subsequent games).  The gameplay for Revelations is similar to Brotherhood, but a bit has been tweaked enough for you to feel a difference.  All of the stories in this game (there are three different ones) are a direct continuation of the previous story (or stories).  The Desmond story picks up from right at the end of Brotherhood (and falls pretty flat).  The Ezio story picks up years after the events of Cesare's defeat and the rest of Altair's story is told through a series of playable cut scenes.  Both Ezio and Altair's stories have a proper ending, but Desmond's convoluted story continues on, setting up for the events that will take place for AC3.

In order not to feel completely lost during Desmond's story for AC3, you should really have played through (and paid attention to) all of the previous Assassin's Creed games in order.  Even if you missed out on one of the sequels, you will be missing an integral part of his story arc (unfortunately).  Now, I don't want to ruin too much of AC3 for you, but I can tell you (without spoilers) that the game is less of an Assassin's Creed game and more of a "Grand Theft History" game.  It takes a pretty big departure from the other Assassin's Creed games and feels more like a Rockstar sandbox game.  There are so many things to see and do that DO NOT involve stabbing people.  In fact, I think that the actual assassinating of people feels like an afterthought of the gameplay.  For most of the game you will be free running (which sucks the big one), riding on many random horses (that constantly get stuck on the environment), playing mini-games, exploring, hunting, exploring some more, sailing ships, climbing trees, shooting guns, crafting items, sending out convoys, defending convoys, attacking convoys, running meaningless errands, taking part in memorable colonial American events and building up your homestead.  Gameplay-wise, it has more in common with GTA or Red Dead Redemption than it does a traditional Assassin's Creed game.

I also have to add that the parkour-like rooftop running that made the previous games so fun is pretty much broken in this game.  The colonial rooftops are too angled and the streets are too wide to allow for really seamless running from building to building.  You'll spend most of your time running on the ground because it's more efficient and a lot less of a hassle.  Likewise, free running through the trees in the frontier is no better as you can only climb up and navigate certain trees.  These trees are usually arranged in such a way that limits your options as to where to go.  It really limits your freedom when you take to the treetops.  This is why most people stick to the horse or run on the ground.

There is some fun to be had in this game (with all the variety, there's bound to be SOMETHING you find fun), but if you are looking for a "traditional" Assassin's Creed game, you may be disappointed.  The main character is a pretty bad protagonist and it hurt me to find out that almost everyone around him was a more interesting character.  You are literally playing as one of the most boring characters in the entire game, which is a shame.  

The historical set pieces are way too "in-your-face" about it.  Your fictional protagonist weaves through the tapestry of actual events like a flaming ninja through a library, and his involvement in them kind of breaks the immersion since his character sometimes takes the spotlight during these very famous historical events instead of being delegated to the "background" where he should be.  (I'm pretty sure there were NO Native Americans at the time of the signing of the Declaration of Independence at Independence Hall).  

Ultimately, I do not think the game is worth $60, even though you are getting plenty of "game" for your buck.  As an Assassin's Creed game, it's pretty "meh".  As an open-world, Revolutionary America historical extravaganza simulator, it's probably a bit better.  My suggestion would be to rent the games you are interested in and if they hold your attention long enough, you could buy them used.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

-M

P.S. The multiplayer sucks.  Some people may like it, but I would venture to call those people masochists.  

Thanks Iceman. Your post was very informative. Your post about how its like GTA kind of made me want it more but I think I'm going to pass on it unless I start having more time to play games. There was more to my decision to passing on Revelations all they really added was the rope based movement which seemed cool and 1000 bombs which seemed dumb. Didn't care about Atlair anymore and I think AC would be better without the Desmond part.

Even though Connor isn't as great as Ezio but Connor has his own thing he's kinda ruthless and otherwise jumping of trees and climbing on them while you stalk your target is actually pretty fun.

yeah but,its sucks

Thats not stricly true, I found the game to be quite good but I think Mr Tub you feel it sucks at the moment because your xbox is breaking down. I had some issues with games for a while when I tried to play them, got a new laser and now everything runs brilliantly.

Eh I own AC 1 and 2 already and just rented 3 tonight to see how it was and love it. Going to buy 3 and 4 now and continue where I left off :)

AC3 was a good game and to pass on Revelations because of the tower defense (1% of the game) is ridiculous!

No AC 3 did suck. It had nothing compared to Revelations or Brotherhood. The fighting was horrible and it had no flare for any mission that was provided compared to the missions in the other games. The story was ok but it was the end so it wasn't as good as the parts leading up to that end. Hopefully the next AC game will be up to par with Brotherhood. However it was still an alright game and was fun to play and had a good storyline compared to other single player games.