Woah. It's a new topic.

Sooo..... Anyone with young kids or a young kid who plays on xbl? I'm not asking for advice or anything. I'm just wondering what you guys think a medium age might be for someone to start playing on xbl-- multiplayer games, et cetera. I know maturity and all of that counters in. I have a 6 year old and he loves xbox. I do let him play one multiplayer game, castle crashers online and he absolutely loves it and he actually plays it really well. Of course I have it so he can't hear people and stuff. But I swear I've had 8-9 year olds telling me they had encounters with my mom while I'm playing cod haha. So, yeah, there's no topics here and I'm bored. Anyone else have a young kid they let play or are skeptical of letting them play? Or what do you think is an appropriate age and so on. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 16 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm not a parent... I'm 20. If i had a kid, though, at 6, i don't think he'll be playing online cod. He'll probably be playing Bf or something. I don't want the akwardness of my kid walking around the house telling me to "**** off noooooob".

Let kids be kids while they can.  It only happens once and it doesn't last long enough.  No use in rushing them by playing M rated games. 

I am pretty strict about who they can be friends with (at this point it is people we know in real life and maybe a few of their friends).  I also make sure they can only talk to friends, and have the voice chat come out of the TV so I can monitor the conversations.  My six year old does not really care about being online.  So, I just let him play alone or with family.   I honestly would not put an xbox with open communication settings into my son's hands until he is at least 14.  Actually, I take that back.  Maybe not even then!  I just added my 14 year old niece to my 'family' and I have her on closed communication because she is absolutely BOY CRAZY and I am terrified about what will occur if she goes into a black ops lobby but the girl is beast at zombies!  :)

It's up to the kid at what age really. My son is 10 and he doesn't really care for online play. He likes playing Left 4 Dead online once in a while. When I first hooked him up, he had voice and I all I heard were other kids his age playing the game. He did get some strange messages, so I stopped that. I'll wait until he does care before I do anything further. He's immature and the cursing on XBL would only encourage him. I try but daddy is not the best example either. In the end it's my decision, but his maturity level will help form my decision.

Father of two boys. They each have a Xbox and their own accounts, same as me. One is 7 and the other is 10. I let them play COD games and such. They still go out and play "war" or "guns" its OK with me. The one thing I have made sure of is setting up their accounts correctly. I make sure neither can accept or send friends request without my password. They can only text/talk to people on their friends list. That way I don't have to worry about them hearing a bunch of trash talk either way.  You need to pick the age your ready to let them play online. One thing I look for is their behavior, if it changes in a bad way then they are done with that game. It may sound silly but I have run into that on two games. Not sure why, it might just be they cant do some stuff in the game and it might upset them. To me its not worth it if your ticked off at a game.

Thankfully not an issue for me at minute as both my girls only play offline / sp stuff, they are more interested in sport at minute and i try to encourage that as much as possible, healthier for them if nothing else :)

@ Metal...Kudos mate for being wise to your own kid, too many parents seem to think that their kids would never get on like some of the brats you here online. I know if i ever heard mine talk like that their next online experience would be when they were adults in their own house.

My daughter is only 2, but I am sure I will let her play with her cousins when she is a bit older, as they live in a different country I think that would be a nice way for them to be able to play together.

As for playing with the general population.... 21 sounds like a pretty good age to me! LOL.... we will wait and see I guess.

I agree that kids should be allowed to be kids as long as possible. I will encourage mine to play outside, hopefully that will give me more time to play on what console we have at the time! :)

Fyerball nailed it.  Each child is different so its up to you when and what they are playing.  I think today parents should become more involved in what there children are playing.  We are not play adventure anymore on the Atari ( shows my age,lol).  I think 10-13 is a pretty good age for online play doing what Fyerball did to his childrens account.

I recomend you play as much as you can with your kid online. I play with my son and his friends often even though it seems that no one under 16 has a interior monalog any more lol once u get past the constant talking its ok as a plus his friends from school now think im awsome lol!!