Wish - Unmap the knife button

I know this will probably never happen, but I would just like to see if anyone feels the same.

I try not to use the knife in this game. I don't know if it is due to lag compensation, but I've slashed through many a people with it. I wish I could just remove it from my controller layout. It's much more effective to just spray in close range now, and if I come across an unsuspecting sniper, I just shoot them in the head. More often than not, the knife gets me killed than does the killing. Sometimes I'm aiming really quick with my shotgun and I accidentally hit the right stick. Basically it's just a straight up "shoot me I'm defenseless".

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I wish we could just fully bind specific buttons to do what we want. Have a fully user customizable controller layout.

meh I just suck with the knife unless it is with the pistol and you doing it with that addon thingy( forgot what it is called) ... I am so bad at knifing I can't even do it while playing bots while they are on recruit .... I don't know what is up with Black ops 2 but its the only game I cant knife anybody to save my life ( I could do it fine in Cod 4- Modern warfare 3 )

[quote user="ClosingRacer"]Black ops 2 but its the only game I cant knife anybody to save my life ( I could do it fine in Cod 4- Modern warfare 3 )[/quote]Same here. One of two things happened: Either it's broke, due to lag comp or something entirely different, or it's been nerfed into ground by complainers. I was never even upset when killed by an MLC guy in MW2. I mean, come on, he has to still be in punching distance to kill you...

[quote user="IsaacClarkeSNL"]

[quote user="ClosingRacer"]Black ops 2 but its the only game I cant knife anybody to save my life ( I could do it fine in Cod 4- Modern warfare 3 )[/quote]Same here. One of two things happened: Either it's broke, due to lag comp or something entirely different, or it's been nerfed into ground by complainers. I was never even upset when killed by an MLC guy in MW2. I mean, come on, he has to still be in punching distance to kill you...

[/quote]

They definitely nerfed the knife because in past games it has been ridiculous, now it seems you can't knife anyone in the face to get away from "panic knifing" but just change your settings to tactical. All it does is changes the crouch button and the knife button. So now it will be quicker to go prone and the knife button is put to 'B' which is pretty much out of the way as the controller is concerned.

[quote user="IsaacClarkeSNL"]

[/quote]

There are a couple things at work.

I cant verify this, but its what I saw in a commentary a while back.

The default knife is the knife you have when you have a gun in your hand, and works with the thumb click.  It has no lunge whatsoever, and isnt a gauranteed ohk.

The combat knife is automatically equipped when you dont have a weapon in your hand ( if you have no secondary or primary selected). It has a shorter lunge than previous releases but is slightly more than the default knife, and it is an ohk. It can be used with the thumbclick or rt.

The ballistic knife has the same lunge as a combat knife and is an ohk.

Now, from personal experience, if the game is the slightest bit laggy, any of the knives are nearly useless. I dont know if its becuase of the short/no lunge or what. If its a decent match for connection, the combat knife is great. The default knife is still crappy even in a decent match.

Part of what messes me up is that the default and combat knives have different ranges.If I use either for a while and get used to it, when I try to use the other I'm sure to miss. To me its like commando somewhat, with a shorter lunge. I didnt like commando because the inconsistency between using it and not. If I used commando for a while and then unequipped it, I'd miss every time. Likewise when I equipped commando( which I liked for the no falling damage ) it would take a while to get used to. I couldnt switch between a class with and one without in the same match without constantly missing.

I run a class pretty often with no primary no secondary, and all the speed perks I can sqeeze out of my 10 points .........   along with 2 blackhats to take down the air support I feed the enemy .... lol.   It works pretty good on some maps in ffa and kc, and even at times I run it with success in dom, dem or ctf. I've found that with the combination of footsteps being fairly silent, and the fact that most players dont even notice you unless you have a gun blazing in your hand, the combat knife can be pretty effective sneaking in to plant or cap..

They have "done away with" the panic knife, and most people are happy.......................not me though. Panic knives are/were my only knife kills.

[quote user="UneasyJmitchell"]

They have "done away with" the panic knife, and most people are happy.......................not me though. Panic knives are/were my only knife kills.

[/quote]Same here. People complained about a legitimate kill... seriously. So you're in punching distance of a guy and he knifes you. Thats not OP. That guy was just using common sense...

Try the tactical layout for your controller.

[quote user="a tired old guy"]

There are a couple things at work.

I cant verify this, but its what I saw in a commentary a while back.

The default knife is the knife you have when you have a gun in your hand, and works with the thumb click.  It has no lunge whatsoever, and isnt a gauranteed ohk.

The combat knife is automatically equipped when you dont have a weapon in your hand ( if you have no secondary or primary selected). It has a shorter lunge than previous releases but is slightly more than the default knife, and it is an ohk. It can be used with the thumbclick or rt.

The ballistic knife has the same lunge as a combat knife and is an ohk.

Now, from personal experience, if the game is the slightest bit laggy, any of the knives are nearly useless. I dont know if its becuase of the short/no lunge or what. If its a decent match for connection, the combat knife is great. The default knife is still crappy even in a decent match.

Part of what messes me up is that the default and combat knives have different ranges.If I use either for a while and get used to it, when I try to use the other I'm sure to miss. To me its like commando somewhat, with a shorter lunge. I didnt like commando because the inconsistency between using it and not. If I used commando for a while and then unequipped it, I'd miss every time. Likewise when I equipped commando( which I liked for the no falling damage ) it would take a while to get used to. I couldnt switch between a class with and one without in the same match without constantly missing.

I run a class pretty often with no primary no secondary, and all the speed perks I can sqeeze out of my 10 points .........   along with 2 blackhats to take down the air support I feed the enemy .... lol.   It works pretty good on some maps in ffa and kc, and even at times I run it with success in dom, dem or ctf. I've found that with the combination of footsteps being fairly silent, and the fact that most players dont even notice you unless you have a gun blazing in your hand, the combat knife can be pretty effective sneaking in to plant or cap..

[/quote]

Dude, how you could you forget the tactical knife attachment!? That's a knife too!

-

1. Default Knife

2. Combat Knife

3. Ballistic Knife

4. Tactical Knife

-

There are 4 knives in the game, not 3. ;)

[quote user="UneasyJmitchell"]

[/quote]

I've never been able to panic knife consistently, and its only gotten worse every year. If I intentionally run knife only, I can pick up on it pretty quick and do at leat fair, But I have to say trying to panic knife anymore can p*ss me off more than anything in the game.

I dont know if its that I like knifing so much and just cant do it, or that I get knifed so much and cant do it .... whatever it is makes me want to throw my controller sometimes.

I really dont get it either. I might go to shoot someone 50 yards away and wind up looking stupid swinging my blade at the dude instead, but I'll be darned if I try it on someone intentionally, 3 out of 4 times I cant melee at all. I click and nothing happens. Then whats even worse is when I swing and miss, have all the time in the world for a second shot and it just wont work. I know I have arthritis issues and that probably has a lot to do with it, maybe not letting up or whatever I'm doing.

But I've gone as far as having so much time to keep tryng, ... I swing and miss, I click, nothing, I click and nothing. I take my thumb completely off the controller and hold it for a second, jamb it down .... and nothing. I've even had enough time that I'd get totally frustrated, raise my hand up and slap the thing with the palm of my hand .... nothing. Thats about the point where it feels like something bursts inside my head..

Sorry  ..... dont know if you can tell, but I was getting worked up just thinkng about it.