Windows Phone Xbox Music FAQ

Hi all! I've been seeing quite a few of you are having some pretty common problems with Xbox Music on your Windows Phone devices. I've decided to write a little FAQ to help save you guys the hassle of scouring the internet to find the solution to most Xbox Music problems with your Windows Phone.

Q: Why doesn't my phone see content that I have added in my Xbox Music Cloud?

A (part 1): Make sure that you are signed into the correct account on your phone. Check this at Settings > Email+accounts > Microsoft account. If you need to change the account on your phone, please follow the instructions on this link http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/start/change-a-microsoft-account-faq.

A (part 2): You may have added songs to a playlist, but have forgotten to add them to your cloud collection. The phone will only detect songs that have been added to your cloud collection by going to http://music.xbox.com, finding the song and then clicking " + " followed by "Add to collection". Restart your phone after doing this.

Q: I have a Music Pass. How do I download or stream songs from the Music Marketplace?

A: You can do this from either the Music+videos hub, or from within the Xbox Music app (this needs to be downloaded from the app marketplace). First, find the song you want to stream or download. If you want to stream, just tap the song and it will begin playing. If you prefer to download, tap and hold the song until you get the "Download" option.

Q: My phone doesn't recognize that I have a Music Pass. What gives?

A (part 1): Make sure that you are signed into the correct account on your phone. Check this at Settings > Email+accounts > Microsoft account. If you need to change the account on your phone, please follow the instructions on this link http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/start/change-a-microsoft-account-faq.

A (part 2): Check the status of your subscription to make sure it is not suspended. You can check this at https://billing.microsoft.com. Look for any declined transactions which may put your account within a negative standing.

Q: I've reached the limit for my Music Pass device list and I can't add my phone. How can I fix this?

A: You will need to remove one or more devices from your device list at this link https://live.xbox.com/Devices/Manage. Note that you are only allowed to remove up to two devices per 30 day period.

Q: I previously purchased some songs from Xbox Music on my phone, after having this content removed I am now unable to redownload them. What's going on?

A (Windows Phone 7 users): Purchases made from your phone cannot be redownloaded from the phone itself. You will need to download these songs from a Windows 8 device that has access to the music app and then sync them back to your phone using the Zune software.

A (Windows Phone 8 users): Download the Xbox Music app or go to the Music+videos hub on your phone. Find the song in your cloud collection (as opposed to looking in the marketplace) and then tap & hold the song, follow this by tapping "Download".

Q: I'm getting error code C101A053 when trying to manage my Xbox Music cloud collection from my phone. How do I fix this?

A: The C101A053 error code indicates that there is invalid content which is attempting to download. The issue can occur if there is invalid content in the cloud collection. For example, the content may be rendered "invalid" if it has been updated from Microsoft's music database, if the record label has since removed the content, or if the record label has made any adjustments to the released content. To fix this, go to http://music.xbox.com, delete the songs which are returning these errors. Find them in the marketplace from the webpage again (you can do this by using the search bar at the top left) and then click the " + " sign under the song followed by "Add to" and choose your location.

I'll add more to this little FAQ thing in the future. For now those are the most common issues that pop up in my head. Feel free to message me with questions or comments!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 16 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Verified

If this post was helpful please mark it as "Answer" in order to help other community members.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Great info Drakken!

Stickied! 

Sorry this didn't help.

So i can't actually purchase music for my windows phone using Microsoft points. I either have to pay for a monthly music pass that im not interested in or use the cloud which kind of defeats the point of the purchase considering that if i'm hooked up to the internet at the time i can simply access youtube or listen through some other means online. Suppose i have learnt my lesson, i'll just give my money to Nokia, at least then i can have the music i have purchased on my mobile device at my convenience.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for info btw

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi notthepower,

I think I may need to provide some slight clarification on this response. Music can be purchased from a Windows Phone 8 device, but not a Windows Phone 7 device. While using a Windows Phone 8, you will be able to make purchases from the Xbox Music store on the phone using any of the following payment methods:

Mobile Operator billing (if supported by your carrier)

Microsoft Currency

PayPal

or a Credit/Debit card

From a Windows Phone 7, such purchases are no longer available with the transition away from Microsoft Points.

Can you private message me what phone model you have? I can guide you on whether or not you will be eligible to make purchases from the Xbox music store on your phone.

If this post was helpful please mark it as "Answer" in order to help other community members.

Sorry this didn't help.

Помогите. Мне надо условия использования Xbox  от имени ребёнка. Где найти эти условия?! Помогите!

Sorry this didn't help.

Now about an answer to why I can only get 30 second preview clips of songs on my phone.  But I can stream the radio stations I made of artists all day and night on my console and Surface.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello!

I want to now if you have an active Xbox Music Pass because the error code C101A053 is showing to the persons of they did not have XBOX Music Pass. You can save your music online with OneDrive. If you have an  active XBOX Music Pass, but the problem is showing. Go to settings- tap email accounts- tap your Microsoft account and then tap to sync. If the problem is showing feel free to contact with me again!

See you soon,!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there,

I get an issue on my phone and xboxmusic.

My subscription ended a month ago. I finally decided go resub for a year. From now my music and everything i will try to play, except downloaded song, will only last 30 seconds.

It feels like i still am on a free account user. How can i solve this ? Is there a way to uninstall/reinstall the app ???

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote]

While using a Windows Phone 8, you will be able to make purchases from the Xbox Music store on the phone using any of the following payment methods:

Mobile Operator billing (if supported by your carrier)

Microsoft Currency

PayPal

or a Credit/Debit card

[/quote]

I'm using Windows Phone 8.1 on a Nokia 521 - I'm trying to buy music using Microsoft Currency but the only options I'm given are to bill my mobile carrier (AT&T) or use a Credit/Debit card. 

My computer uses Windows 7.

What options do I have to purchase/download music using Microsoft Currency?  And how do I find the instructions to do that?

Sorry this didn't help.