Windows Phone Gaming FAQ

What is a Windows Phone?

A Windows Phone is a device that comes alive with the things you care about. People, places, songs, photos, and apps automatically update right on your Start screen. Plus, SkyDrive is built in, so you can take your stuff with you wherever you go. The result? A phone that’s as unique as you are.

The Windows Phone operating system is used by many manufactures, including Nokia, Samsung, HTC, LG, Dell and more.

How does Xbox Live benefit me on my phone?
There are many features of Xbox Live that are carried over to the phone like trials for all Xbox Live enabled games, achievements, leaderboards, friends list, cross platform bonus’s and many more.

How do I get my Gamertag on my phone?
When you first boot up your new Windows Phone it will ask you to enter your Microsoft Account, you should use the one that you used to sign up to Xbox Live with.

I’ve entered the wrong Microsoft Account and now can’t get my Gamertag, Help!
You can change your Microsoft Account but you will lose any current data on the phone, most things are backed up to the cloud anyway like you contacts and app purchases. To change your Microsoft Account you will need to do what’s called a “hard reset”.

1. On Start, flick left to the App list. 
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap About.
  4. Tap reset your phone and follow the instructions to complete the reset of your phone.

I've changed my Microsoft Account, now what?
You will still need to perform the above steps to reset your phone and set it up with the new Microsoft Account you created. All your licenses for your games and apps should still work on this new Microsoft Account.

For more information on Microsoft Account management, check out our Microsoft Account Help support article. 

How do I check my friends list and send messages?
Navigate to your Games Hub flick left or right until you see friends and the messages tiles, then tap the friends tile or the message tile.

How many achievement points can I earn?
Windows Phone games can carry up to 200 Gamerscore with up to 20 achievements per title. Some older titles only award 50G.

I’ve downloaded a game and there are no achievements?
Windows Phone has two types of games, Xbox Live enabled and just standard games. Standard games do not have the same features as Live Enabled Games, such as achievements or Live leaderboards.

My Gamerscore on my console has not updated since I played on my Windows Phone.
This can take a little while to update, especially if you're signed into Xbox Live on your console while playing on your phone. If you are and want to have your Gamerscore synced then try signing out of Xbox Live on your console a few times and it should update.

My Gamerscore on my Windows Phone has not updated since I played on my Xbox.
You will need to go into your games hub then pull the tray up from the bottom where the 3 dots (ellipsis) are and you will see the refresh option, click refresh and it will sync your Gamerscore.

I’m trying to download a game and I get an error.
This is most likely because you're trying to download a game that is over 50mb and you are using your data connection. To fix this just connect to a Wi-Fi network, and attempt the download once more.

My notifications won’t go away even after I’ve deleted the messages on my Xbox.
You will need to go into your games hub then pull the tray up from the bottom where the 3 dots are and you will see the refresh option, click refresh and it will sync your Gamerscore.

Where can I find out more about Windows Phone games?
You can visit our Windows Phone Games Overview to find out the latest deals and new releases. Alternately you can check the spotlight channel in your games hub on your phone. 

Thank you to EDDS for building this sticky.  

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

Verified.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.