Windows Media Player Streaming Issue

Hi Guy

Last week I bought a new Laptop with Windows 8 installed. Today I tried to stream music from it to my xbox360. It only worked partially. Let me explain: It seems to find the files and is able to play them, yet some Artists are not recognized even though Windows Media Player and right-click->details knows exactl who the Artist is.

Another issue is that the player lists the playlist-files in the album folders as files to be played under [Unknown Artist]. Had to delete these.

And last but not least it seems that some features were lost in a recent update, is this possible? If I select an Artist it lists all their songs and I can only separate them into the specific Albums when I browse through all the Albums in my Library. It also takes much longer to load songs by a chosen Artist. But again, maybe this is an issue with the newest xbox update.

I read through all the Threads with similar problems, but couldn't find answers. Or I didn't do it right since all the advice is in English and my system is German. Anyhow, thanks in advance for helping me out (I can't play Minecraft without my own music)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Chances are that if the Xbox won't stream certain songs it's either because of DRM or codec issue.  In regards to specific artists not being listed it's most likely a problem in the ID3 tags, you'll have "Album Artist", "Contributing Artists", and "Composer" there.  I believe the Xbox reads "Album Artist."

A simple way to check to see if it's a DRM issue is to put the files in question on a NTSF formatted USB drive and insert that into the console to see if it will recognize the songs.

Windows Media Player will also allow you to stream songs and videos of only a certain rating--the number of stars you give it--which might also be interfering with why some songs are skipped.

I cannot speak for Germany but in the US no features were lost so I highly doubt any features were lost in your localized version.  Chances are that it's just you having to get used to a new laptop with a new OS.  Windows 8 is a drastic step forward in terms of Microsoft's OS and some features got shuffled in the process.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi kaiserflip560,

What is the exact error message or error code that appears when you try to play one of the files that is not properly playing? Are you able to play these files through the Xbox Music app at all on your laptop as a test? Do these files only fail when you try to stream to the Xbox 360? Did you make sure to set up the Windows Media Center extender with these steps posted over here? Let us know. We are here to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.