Windows 8.1 not seeing XBox One

My Windows 8.1 PC will not detect my XBox as a Play To device.  They are one the same network. I have also made sure that the Video app is running on the XBox. Any suggestions?

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2018 Views 1,108 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I had a similar problem, when trying to play music. I don't know if it was due to the fact that my computers are part of a domain network, but I had to manually discover the Xbox by going to Control Panel-->Devices and Printers-->Add Device.

Once I did that, the Xbox was detected, added to my device list, and then became available as a Play To device from the Xbox music app on my Windows 8.1 computers.

I do continue to have an issue, whereby it seems to lose the knowledge of the Xbox, and I'm finding I have to manually remove/re-add it occasionally.

Bob

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

XBox isn't detected in control panel Add Device.

Sorry this didn't help.

G'day Boomer, When the Xbox One console doesn't appear in your Add Device window, have you been through the troubleshooting guide by clicking "Not finding what you are looking for?"

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been battling this issue and found a solution that worked for me. I tried everything and my Xbox One would not show up in Devices and Printers on my Windows 8.1 Pro (volume license) activated system and thus I didn't have the "Play To" option. It still worked for my Xbox 360 though which was odd in itself.  It was very frustrating to say the least.

The solution was so simple. Once I installed the Xbox Video application on my Xbox One it immediately appeared in my Devices and Printers cpl and "Play To" now appeared and worked in Windows Explorer and Media Player. Similarly installing Xbox Music allowed me to stream music to my Xbox One.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still not having any luck with this, even after installing xbox video and ensuring media center was installed on my windows 8.1 machine. I still can't get the pc to detect the xbox one, despite them being on the same network.

Sorry this didn't help.

Though to complicate things further, the Xbox One DOES show up when I go to "Media Streaming options" under Network and Sharing Center and show devices on Local network... it is set to "Allowed". But it only shows up in the one screen, and not from the devices manager or as a "Play To" option.

Sorry this didn't help.

The Xbox One is a not a DLNA DMR unless you install the Xbox Music and the Xbox Video apps on it from the market store. Once you did that, it should be discovered and you can do PlayTo scenarios against it.

However, sometimes (especially when you update your OS from 8 to 8.1 and the device was discovered by Win8) the device does not get populated in the charm or classic PlayTo menu. To overcome this, you need to go to Classic Control Panel-->Devices and Printers and look for your XboxOne device in that list. Remove any entry for Xboxone and choose again Add a Device after this. Your PC should discover the XboxOne now and it should be able to pair it. Then the PlayTo will work.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think i may have found it. Assure that "Find PCs, devices, and content on your network" in enabled in your network properties.

1.Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2.Tap or click Network, tap or click Connections, and then tap or click your network connection.

3.Turn on Find devices and content.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same issues. Xbox 360 was set up with Play To and worked flawlessly, then stopped working after a couple months. Now I can't add my Xbox One as a Device in Windows 8.1 Pro w/ Media. I'm starting to think it has more to do with Windows 8 than my actual console. I've tried every solution listed on this thread and nothing has worked. Can't add my Xbox One as a device in PC Settings OR Control Panel, simply does not show up. It used to work with my 360 (wired connection) and stopped out of the blue. My Xbox One is also wired, if that has anything to do with this. My Xbox One is recognized by Console Name in SmartGlass for Windows  however. I feel like Microsoft broke this on purpose.

Sorry this didn't help.