Windows 8 and PC media streaming issues

It appears I am not alone. I have similar problems although with perhaps a different twist. Utilizing the media player in Xbox I can play movies and play music contained in my Windows 8 system. But this only holds true if that is the first action I take upon opening my Xbox. It I do something else first, as an example play a game, I can neither play a movie nor listen to music on the Xbox. This is strictly a Windows 8 issue as I don't have a problem with my Windows 7 system nor Vista system. I am surprised this issue has not been corrected. I don't suppose Microsoft is trying to steer us into spending money on the Xbox music system or movie rentals?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Hi RedCoachman,

Let's see if deleting any Xbox Music and Video files on the hard drive and then clearing the cache is able to help. If not, then after that let's try applying the system update and see if that can help. Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Wow Mr. Rush, clearing the cache creates several sides issues which I do not believe I am prepared to address. Losing all updates and losing all hard drive saved games seems to be a bit harsh. To test a theory I borrowed a laptop running Windows 7 and enabled it to address my Xbox. I experienced no problems watching movies, playing music or looking at pictures. It seems to me the issue is not a cache or update problem. The only common thread to the problem seems to be Windows 8. I purchased a new computer for the express reason of getting the fastest cpu and hard drive available so that all my videos, pictures and music would be quickly available in one place for the Xbox. Having acquired the system at Costco, I have 30 days to return it. Frankly, it is not looking good. If there is a way to trade in the Windows 8 OS for a Window 7 OS I would gladly do so. What is the chance Microsoft will get the problem resolved in the next week or so?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RedCoachman,

Actually clearing the cache will only delete all game updates which will be automatically re-applied when the game is next loaded again. It is a totally safe step to take. The system update is also safe to try as it will not cause any issues for save files, progress or profiles. Give them a shot and let us know if it helps. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried clearing the cache and the results were predictable, the solution did not work. This should not be surprising as other forum users with the same problem as I have been given the same solution and have experienced the same results. I sort of feel sorry for you Xbox support staff people. Clearly the Windows 8 OS can't work with the Xbox system player but the Window 8 folks appear not to be giving you straight answers. Microsoft apparent refusal to admit to the problem is confusing. Is the strategy to wear us down so we will subscribe to the Xbox Music app? I hope not. I am puzzled. With so many of us having the same problem with respect to Windows 8, one would think a solution would have been presented by now.

Sorry this didn't help.

the reason i am upset is because it appears they designed windows 8 specifically for use with microsoft devices like xbox... now they dont want to offer support when there are issues with their big plan... obviously the issue is beyond the control of end users like our self. they need software engineers to fix this and quit giving their loyal customers the horrid run-around.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here. I posted about this on Microsofts Windows 8 forum over a month ago.

Windows 7 everything works The only thing that shows up for me on Windows 8 are DVD's that are ripped as vobs. I usually back up my dvd's as .iso's files. Nothing else works.  My xbox  says all my folders are empty. No pictures my music doesn't show up either. Same with Playstation 3 too.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gang,

I have an answer for the windows 8 media streaming issue. The solution, provided by an excellent Windows rep. in India, is far from ideal but it works. To paraphrase, Windows 8 is still in a shakedown mode. One of the problems is, though it seems Microsoft does not officially acknowledge the issue, Windows 8 gets confused when there are a large number of media files. Also, Windows 8 confusion seems to occur when there is a buildup of activity files (PF files). Thus, limit the number of media files. For my system I have found the upper limit for music is about 400 music files. I have not tested the upper limit for either photos or video. Regardless of the number of media files on your PC, at some point, your Xbox 360 will cease seeing any media on your PC. When this occurs run  a program called PREFETCH. this will display all the PF files on your PC. As was explained to me, a PF file is created each time activity occurs on your PC. Delete these files and restart your PC. The Microsoft rep. indicated there is no problem doing so. I do this every couple of days and have not had any problems. The solution as goofy as Windows 8 but it works. Hopefully Microsoft will come up with a fix so we don't have this issue going forward. It seems to me there is little incentive to purchase media if one is limited to the size of the library one can maintain on the PC.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried deleting the prefetch files and no luck. =(

Sorry this didn't help.

The odd thing is that if I use Play To from within Windows Media Player then it will send anything to my Xbox. If I also use Windows Media Center then that works as well. I just want to be able to use the basic video and music players.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Monroy. Please go ahead and create a new thread, detailing your troubles a bit more, as well as any troubleshooting you have tried, and we will get right on it. Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.