Will Rock and Roll Die?

With games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero selling well, will this put rock music on a down hill slide as kids these days would rather play an Xbox 360 guitar rather than a Gibson or a Fender?

-

I remember Liam Gallagher saying music games like these were good for the future of rock and roll, I'm an Oasis/Beady Eye fan but I don't agree with him on that one, I think its just an easy way out tbh

-

Thoughts?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

.....South Park hit the nail on the head with their episode about such games, kids thinking they are musicians when they can play a game lol

Maybe it will have the opposite effect. Make people interested in taking up real guitar or drum or bass lessons.  Whilemost are content sitting in the same spot pushing a maximum of 5 buttons to a prompt, others have need more higher stimulation which a fake instrument cant provide.

Kids aren't as stupid as you are making them out to be. No one who dreams of being a rockstar is going to practice their heart out on Rockband and then show up at a recording studio holding a plastic guitar with colored buttons. Anyone with the most basic level of common sense understands the difference between making music and pressing buttons on a game controller

[quote user="Sword StyIe"]

Kids aren't as stupid as you are making them out to be. No one who dreams of being a rockstar is going to practice their heart out on Rockband and then show up at a recording studio holding a plastic guitar with colored buttons. Anyone with the most basic level of common sense understands the difference between making music and pressing buttons on a game controller

[/quote]

Pretty much this. I played drums in the elementary/middle school band and rock band is nothing like that.

No chance. If you  look back rock n roll has been around longer than most genres of music

[quote user="SMoGi3 II tK"]

.....South Park hit the nail on the head with their episode about such games, kids thinking they are musicians when they can play a game lol

[/quote]

That was a great episode. Can you play GH on GameBattles?

I'm not saying kids are stupid, not at all, the kids remark was just about South Park, with them being 10, lol

-

Yeah Law, that is what Liam Gallagher said about it having a positive effect, I'm not sure though, maybe someone who plays Rock band can tell us first hand if it has made them interested in playing for real, I'm not saying thesegames don't look fun, I'm just questioning it

[quote user="SMoGi3 II tK"]

I'm not saying kids are stupid, not at all, the kids remark was just about South Park, with them being 10, lol

-

Yeah Law, that is what Liam Gallagher said about it having a positive effect, I'm not sure though, maybe someone who plays Rock band can tell us first hand if it has made them interested in playing for real, I'm not saying thesegames don't look fun, I'm just questioning it

[/quote]

I actually had a go at guitar hero world tour before I started playing the actual guitar, and since playing the actual instrument, I think the games are slightly misleading. I know almost everyone understands that to play the actual guitar, you don't just press a few buttons, but it's still misleading. Like, I've known a few people who thought they would try playing the guitar after playing Rock Band or something, and then give up with the instrument because it was nothing like they were expecting.

There's nothing wrong with playing the game for fun of course, but yeah, you would be pretty ill-informed if you thought about starting music simply from getting a good score on Rock Band.

Still, playing guitar isn't for everybody, and it's just a bit of fun I guess.

[/quote]Strangely enough, my impression of Lil Wayne's awesome guitar skills is that he did exactly that.

[quote user="x24hrs2livex"]

[/quote]

Pretty much this. I played drums in the elementary/middle school band and rock band is nothing like that.

[/quote]

Truth man haha, I play drums for a metal band. Been playing drums for about 7 years now. And I suck at playing Rockband drums haha. Its way different.