Will Not let me cancel auto renewal/remove payment.

I do not use my Xbox at all and noticed my membership was still active. After trying to remove my payment option only to be met by a message stating "can not remove because this payment method is being used for... blah blah blah" so I go to stop the auto renewal and get a error message  "an error occurred cancelling automatic renewal". Its like Microsoft doesn't want me to leave! Why is it so difficult to stop auto renewal and remove the payment method attached to this auto renewal? 

Please do not refer me to account management guide I've read it all! and followed the actions to the letter, but still no success removing  the payment option or cancelling the auto renewal. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1,945 Applies to:

you cannot remove a card that is tied to an active subscription, if you cannot deactivate the auto renew on the site calling up support are the only ones that can do it for you.  once the renew is off and your current subscription ends THEN you can remove the card.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a scam. The error message is fake. I've tried multiple times in the last 6 months to cancel and here's what I've come up with:

Xbox Live does not let you cancel your subscription or remove a payment option, if you have an outstanding balance.

Xbox Live auto-renews your monthly subscription, but won't actually charge it. It will keep it "pending" until the next time it tries to auto-renew.

I went to account.xbox.com and it said I was charged and paid for my monthly xbox live service. But when I checked commerce.microsoft.com, it said the charge was still pending, 13 days later.

So essentially, you're ALWAYS with an outstanding balance, so you can't modify your payment options.

It took over 30 minutes with Customer Support to clarify this. I have still not been able to cancel my subscription.

Sorry this didn't help.

No you only have an outstanding balance if the renewal date passes

If you cannot turn off autorenewal consider changing browser's or contact support

What you are mixxing up is the fact that payment method cannot be removed while an active membership is on

This is with all bills you must notify the company when you want to discontinue service not the other way around

If you want to not do that it is simple forgo promotions and sales and only buy prepaid membership cards

All services offer prepaid and subscription

Its not rocket science

Sorry this didn't help.