Will my Xbox 360 die soon?

I was playing just now and all of a sudden it got 3 red rings. I was like WTF? I turned off my console and turned it back on and it's back to normal. I don't know why that happened and now I'm worried it will break soon. I only got the RROD on it about twice but maybe once.

I bought my 360 elite right when it came out. It probably RROD twice. I'm not sure if MS repaired it or replaced it with a refurbished one. It still says 2007 on the back if I remember correctly.

I've been playing halo reach recently and its had a few slowdowns even though I've been playing single player and having it installed to my hdd. I'm not sure if the slowdown has to do with the disc since I'm using the original halo reach disc instead of a halo reach copy given to me by Microsoft for being a dashboard beta tester. I never experienced anything with the halo reach copy.

What do you guys think? If this is a sign how long do you think my 360 will last? If it does die i hope it happens before Gears of War 3 comes out.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Check your power supply unit. Last time I got three red rings my power supply had died on me and I had to get another one. If it's making a whistling, whining noise then it's on its way out. Make sure it's free from dust aswell so that it's not over heating.

It will eventually die off from a hardware failure..same thing happened to mine.

If it the classic XBOX 360. And if you are a fan of GEARS games. per order the console edition of GEARS 3. And you would get a bigger hard drive then you got now. It is 320GB of memory. So you will have alot of free space to go thought for a long time. I now have less then 51.5GB. But I know that would not last long. And if I had the cash. I would go and buy the console edited of GEARS 3.

It's an Xbox... Of course it will die soon.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that. You can also get red rings from a power supply issue or your A/V cable not being inserted tightly.

I had that happen when the fan in my power brick died. I bought a new one on ebay cheap and ran that xbox till the DVD drive crapped out.

All the cables are hooked up correctly. This happened in the middle of playing a game. If it's the power supply issue, I can test it out by using my brother's power supply. Regardless I'm going to save money just in case.

might be worth moving your Xbox and Your Power Supply to a better vented area, a lot of Xbox Failures are because they run hot and people put them in cabnets, then blaim Microsoft for poor design

[quote user="I Dave I Enna I"]

might be worth moving your Xbox and Your Power Supply to a better vented area, a lot of Xbox Failures are because they run hot and people put them in cabnets, then blaim Microsoft for poor design

[/quote]

As long as the vents aren't actually blocked, there shouldn't be a problem. Yes, any piece of electronic gear needs to be in a well ventilated area, but I've never seen a a piece of equipment where it was of such a great concern as it is with the 360. The older (non slim) units weren't adequately cooled. That is poor design.