Will DLC play an important part of the story?

Do you think the DLC for the previous games will play an important role in Mass Effect 3 or will it be reduced to incidentals?

I really believe that if it wasn't on the discs when the previous two games shipped then it wont be an important part of the third game.

For example many people have said that the main reason to get Arrival is so you understand why Shepard will be on trial at the start of the third game, but would Bioware really want to alienate people right at the beginning of Mass Effect 3 with something that their Shepard did not do.

Will they keep Arrival as the reason for the trial no matter what or if you've not played the DLC will the reason just shift to that you've been working for a known terrorist group.

So what do you think, will it be DLC reasoning no matter what in Mass Effect 3 or will it be throwaway lines?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

it doesnt matter if who played the arrival, ME3 is gonna start with shepard standing trial for what happened in that dlc. same goes for LotSB, theyll probably even be mentioned in the starter motion comic [which needs motion]

extra characters like kasumi and zaeed probably wont play a critical role and if they do, ME2 completionists would get bonus info and backstory. theres a lot you can do to explain what happened in the prior games dlc

the mass effect universe has games, books, and comics; bioware cant hurt themselves by throwin nods their own fiction

But in this case it wouldn't just be nods, it'd be direct story influence.

Now I've played Arrival but should the events of that be the reasoning for the trial if an imported Shepard never went through that mission?

The function of the import system is meant to be that it brings your Shepard and the events that you played through into the next game. Now if they are going to be deciding those events for you, then why bother with the import system at all? Why not just make everyone play through the motion comic and make those set choices.

What is good about the side media is that, apart from setting Udina in stone as the human council member in Retribution, they have remained intentionally vague about the events in the game. They don't even mention if Shepard is a man or a woman.

I've said it before, I really don't think the events of any of the dlcs will have a significant impact on ME3 because BioWare doesn't want to alienate those either new to the franchise or those that haven't played the dlc.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that for those that haven't played Arrival, Shepard will be on trial for working with Cerberus. They may even link in the events of Arrival by saying that Cerberus are being accused of destroying the batarian system and, because of his/her connections with Cerberus, Shepard is being put on trial as the new face of the terrorist group.

As for LotSB. Liara will just contact you and explain how she finally found the SB and why she took over from him.

Overlord, Kasumi & Zaeed will be totally inidental (imo), nothing more than dialogue or emails.

Overall, with the focus BioWare are putting into not trying to alienate new players to the franchise, I don't think there will be any way that they'll make dlc from either of the previous games integral to the experience of ME3.

Those who do not import will likely have to go through a Genesis-like intro to get their story on track with everyone else, for the completionists, expect more cameos...:-)

BW already said (through C Hud at E3/Comic Con and other BW employees) and several sites have stated that you are on trial for the 'incident' with the Alpha Relay. so yes DLC will have a direct impact on story. like Liara will be what she is at the end of LotSB no matter if you played it or not.

Key DLC, like the Arrival and Lair of the Shadow Broker will have a impact of sorts I think... Overlord as well, to a lesser extent. DLC like Zaeed's or Kasumi's probably not as much if at all (and if so, probably only a email from them at your terminal).

I think Pinnacle Station will play a huge part in Mass Effect 3 - Bioware are crafty like that.

I'm 100% behind Voted DC on this topic. DLC a key component to Mass Effect 3? ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NOT! It's not going to happen, as dictated by the past titles and what little references they've crossed. A few key lines as reference to those who have the DLC- akin to Mass Effect Galaxy reference on Omega, but that's it. Nothing more.

How so? Well, if the myriad of lazy references in Mass Effect 2 were anything to go by, what  with the email messages instead of voice recordings and actual assignments and whatnot, then it's safe for me to risk the notion that reference points will be kept short and simple to those not in the know for convenience sakes. Just like the novels, you don't need them to grasp what's happening in the Mass Effect gaming universe. So DLC as key components? Not going to happen where BioWare are concerned. Costs too much to produce something that not everyone has access to.

[quote user="vader da slayer"]

BW already said (through C Hud at E3/Comic Con and other BW employees) and several sites have stated that you are on trial for the 'incident' with the Alpha Relay. so yes DLC will have a direct impact on story. like Liara will be what she is at the end of LotSB no matter if you played it or not.

[/quote]But don't you see the contradiction in this statement?

If you have three different players going into ME3, one has not played ME2, one has played ME2 but not the dlc and one has played ME2 and Arrival/LotSB.

If all three start ME3 and Shepard is on trial and Liara is the SB, then the dlc doesn't have any impact whatsoever because the events will be the same regardless which is the point I'm trying to make (voteDC as well but don't want to speak for him).

its called a plot device. its not a contradiction. its like saying what happens in SC2 can't happen for those that didn't play the Brood Wars xpac

or better annalogy. if you have 3 books to a series, just because you didn't read the first two or only finished the first one and first half of the second one doesn't mean what went on in the parts you didn't read didn't happen. I could go on with missing a key tv episode and other such analogy.

there isn't a contradiction, you just missed that part of the story thats all. (going to disclaimer this as you can't express words with text like you can with speach, this is meant non confrontationally so pls don't take it as such)