Will action gamers enjoy this?

When to comes to RPG's, I've always preferred games that aren't too terribly involved.  I love a good challenge as long as the challenge isn't having to spend time in the menu screen combining objects to make spells and stuff.  I do, however, enjoy selectively choosing armor and weapon upgrades.  If that's what you call RPG-Lite, then that's me.  I never bothered play Oblivion and other similar hardcore RPG's, having not cut my teeth on the genre early on in life.  But I did enjoy Dungeon Siege III and I loved the Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath games.  With that in mind, do you think I should give Dark Souls a shot or did I pretty much spell out that this game isn't for me?

Thanks!

FiSH

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

From what you're describing, I would say you might want want to steer clear of this game.  It's pretty hardcore, and dying A LOT is part of the overall experience.  There's not a lot of handholding and explanation of things.  If you can rent it to try, you'll know in the first hour whether or not you like it.

the game is mainly all about the combat/action, huge boss fights, lots of different types of enemies, lots of different armours and weapons, it is very much a hardcore rpg but you never know, you might end up liking it. as above said, rent it and see.

stay strong!

i also have the same question as th O.P. although i have dabbled in rpgs this year. i beat fallout three and new vegas...dragons age origins and almost dragon age 2...i even went out and bought resinance of fate..even though i heard it was SUPER HARD i thought it looked cool. got very far in it about 60 hours. i am very interested in this game. and am on the fence also.and yes i know fallout is nothing like this.

It's a game where you really need to think your way through fights as blindly charging in while swinging for the fences is going to get you killed. It's not something where you're eventually going to reach a character level where you'll just steamroll everything either. It's not hardcore D&D by any means but it will jump on you if you get sloppy.

Giant Bomb did a quick look video about this, worth having a gander at that if you're on the fence.

Hi there!  I will try to answer some questions for you folks.  I'm currently playing Dark Souls, and beat Demon's Souls on PS3 a few times.  So here goes!

"When it comes to RPG's, I've always preferred games that aren't too terribly involved" -

You will be involved in this game, and by involved I mean getting your face smashed in over and over by enemies and traps you didn't even expect would kill you.  You will not be spending all your time in menu screens, combining items and random stuff.  This is a pure, and absolutely hardcore, action RPG game.  There are various weapons/armor sets for you to buy/find/choose from to suit your wants.

The only menu screen you may be spending some time staring at is going to be your Stats screen when you want to spend your Souls to level up.  Deciding on what attribute to level up probably takes me the longest.  Leveling up consists of raising an individual attribute by ONE point for X amount of souls.  Every time you add a point, the amount of souls you need to spend to gain another point increases.  Eventually, you will need a LOT lof souls to even add a single point to a stat.

"I did enjoy Dungeon Siege III and I loved the Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath games" -

Those are what are known as "loot drop" RPGs.  This is so completely removed from that genre that I can't even come up with a proper analogy.  Dark Souls is a third person action-RPG that wants to make you cry..... repeatedly.

Long story short, I'd watch some videos and definitely rent it.  It can be a little bit of a grind sometime to get souls in the beginning (I could explain more on that if you needed) but it's an awesome game.  When you accomplish something in this it makes you feel fantastic.  On the other time, you may want to buy one or two extra contollers because this is a game that will make you want to smash yours.

Cheers!

yo guys hit me up im on my 23rd boss and stuck at a few other bosses anyone wat to play i finished ringing both bells and am now looking for the next place any ideas on where to go? and i beat everything in the forest but the wold with the sword in his mouth ne ways hit me up im always playin.

I ended up getting this game after much consideration....i decided *** it...and you know what ..my self being a primarily action gamer. I love the $hit out of this game. I found that when i dies which was alot it was mostly becuase i was in to big of a rush. this game rocks. the only thing that saucks...for the time being is trying to some of the mechanics. it doesnt explain much but im having fun learning.

Glad to hear you're loving it Potatoeslave!  :)  

i would like it even more if i could find some damn arrows! or bolts for my crossbow. i cant find any vendors and i killed the first one i found in the dark berg or whatever. lol thatfirst area you go to whrer you fight the taurus

but yes i am totally loving it...its a fun kind of frustrating and very satisying when you suceed