Why No Hardcore Mode?

It was an interesting game mode in New Vegas, though I'm not nearly as into Fallout as Elder Scrolls. So this game mode not being included within my title of choice is a little disappointing.

-

I may be alone in this but I think it would have been fun to have restricted fast travel, a hunger and fatigue gauge, limited carrying weight, ect ect. Something about the large scale and attention to detail that comes from Bethesda games makes me wonder why this was never included.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I would have loved some sort of hardcore mode like that.  Loved the challenge of it in FNV.  Arrows with weight seems like a no-brainer.  As it is, I can't even figure out why they included cooking in this game, considering how little it heals you, and the fact that you get no skill increases.  Maybe they'll add hardcore mode later as part of some DLC (okay, I know, wishful thinking...).

Cooking without a hardcore mode is simply and aesthetic skill. It serves no actual purpose and is only there because it intrigues some players. But to me setting up camp in the middle of the vast wilderness of Skyrim to rest for the night, making some food and setting guards for a possible Bandit or Bear ambush would add a lot to the game.

Fatigue and stamina would be the same.  Fatigue happens when you have a low stamina.  

A hunger gauge would have annoyed the heck out of me.  Soon, it would be THE SIMS - SKYRIM Edition!

But if it's a separate mode, that would be fine.  I just wouldn't be playing it.  

Kind of the reason why is simple. While all Fallout, Skyrim and Oblivion are Developed by Bethesda, Fallout New Vegas was Developed by Obsidian with the Tools used and given by Bethesda. Most the "ideas" from Fallout NV (such as HC) came from PC Mods from Fallout/ Oblivion and were hence "ported" to the Production of Fallout NV by Obsidian.

You do not (and probably won't) see a Hardcore Mode in Skyrim as long as Bethesda continues to Develop either DLC or Elder Scrolls Games. My guess would be if Obsidian Developed a "Skyrim" of their own, it would have a Hardcore Mode as well.

I myself very much enjoyed my HC play-through on Fallout NV and would have loved to see the same immersion in Skyrim.

I would like to see it as well.

I don't find that I'm desperately missing anything without it but I think it could be nice to have to sleep/drink/eat, have restricted fast travel and anything else they chose to add. I enjoyed it playing New Vegas but I think the rate at which you need food/so on would have to be lower for Skyrim's sheer scale and more significant story.

I love hardcore mode. Besides in New Vegas when Missiles weighed like 10 pounds. How could I blow myz enemiez up?

[quote user="BizarroMantis"]

Fatigue and stamina would be the same.  Fatigue happens when you have a low stamina.  

A hunger gauge would have annoyed the heck out of me.  Soon, it would be THE SIMS - SKYRIM Edition!

But if it's a separate mode, that would be fine.  I just wouldn't be playing it.  

[/quote]

Well in this sense a fatigue gauge would measure how long you can carry on over longer periods. So it would be impossible for a player to run for all day and all night and it would force you to actually sleep for reasons other than gaining a well rested business.

[quote user="ProjectBehemoth"]

Do it yourself: forums.xbox.com/.../172140.aspx

[/quote]

While I have done this to an extent on playthroughs there is only so far I personally can carry on the game within the game necessity that this route requires. Leveling cooking, and sleeping just seems like a waste of time without a genuine purpose to use them, if I break my own made up rules there are no consequences.

Yellowhottub, what I was trying to say is that if you run out of "stamina", you end up with "fatigue".