Why must luck always be a factor on the hardest difficulties in any game?

Sure, most of the campaign required some skill to beat on insane but having a final boss that is pretty much based off of luck is completely dumb to have.  On the 2nd part of the encounter and just gave up for the time being after 30 minutes or so. 

It's a very simplistic encounter but having to rely on my luck on where the guards are going to spawn is just down right annoying to have to deal with on top of there being infinite respawns.  1 try I can get pretty far before I having them start to spawn around me or I could die fairly soon after restarting.  I see no skill required for that part and sadly, I wouldn't even have any satisfaction once I do manage to beat it.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the campaign and the game itself as a whole...I just don't understand why developers put in a difficulty where success is measured by your luck.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Play arcade mode with the mutators instagib melee, infinite ammo and the reload one.

Or get 3 people together to play on Casual while you're on Insane and have them do all the work while you hide.

I'm somwehere on Act II on Insane difficulty where you have to hijack that floating Gas Barge thing, but before that you have to defend the platform from the Queen's Guards and cannons from the Barge itself. It's really REALLY annoying me. The Queen's Guards themselves aren't that hard, it's those damn cannons! That, for me, relies on luck. I mean I can't stay in one spot and shoot carefully or the cannons get me. I can't run out and kill the Guards as quickly as I can or the cannons get me. I can't position myself where the cannons won't get me because then the cannons and the Guards will get me. I've died like maybe 3 times by the Guards with thier annoying shotties, but it's mostly those damn cannons.

Insane difficulty makes the game seem more epic and I've loved it more than Hardcore difficulty. But now, at this part? I'm just annoyed and not having fun. But man, I want that cheevo!

[quote user="Solid Latino"]

I'm somwehere on Act II on Insane difficulty where you have to hijack that floating Gas Barge thing, but before that you have to defend the platform from the Queen's Guards and cannons from the Barge itself. It's really REALLY annoying me. The Queen's Guards themselves aren't that hard, it's those damn cannons! That, for me, relies on luck. I mean I can't stay in one spot and shoot carefully or the cannons get me. I can't run out and kill the Guards as quickly as I can or the cannons get me. I can't position myself where the cannons won't get me because then the cannons and the Guards will get me. I've died like maybe 3 times by the Guards with thier annoying shotties, but it's mostly those damn cannons.

Insane difficulty makes the game seem more epic and I've loved it more than Hardcore difficulty. But now, at this part? I'm just annoyed and not having fun. But man, I want that cheevo!

[/quote]Ok, this is funny. Typing that complaint made me wanna give that part another go and I FINALLY beat it! I just let my A.I. squad do all the work while I dodged the cannons and the Queen's Guards. I killed a few of them but I let my squad handle most of it. Cheap tactic, but I'm closer to that cheevo now.

While I have read about doing things like that, one shouldn't have to resort to that just to beat an encounter.  Like when you choose insane difficulty, it says for the skilled players only..don't see luck being part of it.

I've always enjoyed beating hard encounters in any game that requires great skill and really good execution to pull it off, but when you have to rely on luck to be successful, it just takes the fun out of it.

In regards to you Solid Latino, that part was one of the few that took me a while to beat.  Other parts that gave me some troubles were coming off the zipline and dying before getting behind cover.  The defending part on top of the station was extremely frustrating with enemies coming from all directions near the end(got very lucky on getting past that), and few other sections later in the game.

[quote user="PsychoKooLaDe"]

While I have read about doing things like that, one shouldn't have to resort to that just to beat an encounter.  Like when you choose insane difficulty, it says for the skilled players only..don't see luck being part of it.

I've always enjoyed beating hard encounters in any game that requires great skill and really good execution to pull it off, but when you have to rely on luck to be successful, it just takes the fun out of it.

In regards to you Solid Latino, that part was one of the few that took me a while to beat.  Other parts that gave me some troubles were coming off the zipline and dying before getting behind cover.  The defending part on top of the station was extremely frustrating with enemies coming from all directions near the end(got very lucky on getting past that), and few other sections later in the game.

[/quote]Awwwwww man! I remember that! Insta-death as soon as I landed. On my second try I had to get a lay of the environment before I landed and come up with a game-plan on where to roadie-run as soon as I hit the ground.

Like I said, for the most part, Insane difficulty is epic. I feel that's the way the game needs to be played. Not run-n-gun, but stop-n-pop. Make every bullet count and actually think of what your about to do in a fire fight. But some parts? Hmph. Pure dumb luck.