Why Microsoft Ended Up Not Buying Sega.

Microsoft's long-rumoured plan to acquire SEGA never came to pass because Bill Gates was sceptical the company had "enough muscle" to stop Sony, according to the company's former VP of Windows Sales.

Joachim Kempin, who worked at Microsoft between 1983 and 2003, made the claim in an interview with IGN due to go live later. He explained that the acquisition of SEGA was originally floated as an easy way for Microsoft to enter the console space and stop Sony, especially given the huge financial losses associated with in-house hardware manufacturing.

"There were three companies at that point in time, I think this was [Sony,] SEGA and Nintendo. There was always talk maybe we buy SEGA or something like that; that never materialised, but we were actually able to license them what they call Windows CE, the younger brother of Windows, to run on their system and make that their platform.

"But for Bill [Gates] this wasn’t enough, he didn’t think that SEGA had enough muscle to eventually stop Sony so we did our own Xbox thing.

"There were some talks but it never materialised because SEGA was a very different bird. It was always Sony and Nintendo, right? And Nintendo had some financial trouble at that point in time, so Sony came out with the PlayStation and bang! They took off, and everyone else was left behind."

As mentioned the full interview will be posted later, so what do you think of this? Would you like if Microsoft has bough Sega or the way console is today?

Discussion Info

Last updated October 8, 2018 Views 16 Applies to:

They could have bought them and used them in their current role as a developer.

They were right, Sega hasn't had any muscle since the Genesis.

Sega needs to be careful or else they'll bankrupt. Fans ask for Dreamcast 2, but Sega knows their limits.

SO are you just copy/pasting x360a articles here?

[quote user="SpecOperations9"]

[/quote]Actually, it plagarises an IGN article word-for word. ign.com/articles/2013/02/08/why-did-microsofts-acquisition-of-sega-fall-through

There is nothing wrong with posting a news article in the forums.  The problem is when it isn't sourced.   

Pretty much, which is why if I copy an article I always post the link to it at the top before I quote it, I always put quote blocks around it so people can see it isn't my original material.

[quote user="Zen Like Calm"]

[/quote]Actually, it plagarises an IGN article word-for word. ign.com/articles/2013/02/08/why-did-microsofts-acquisition-of-sega-fall-through

There is nothing wrong with posting a news article in the forums.  The problem is when it isn't sourced.   

[/quote]Okay, so that link derped, and I didn't get to edit in time, so here we go again.  http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/02/08/why-did-microsofts-acquisition-of-sega-fall-through

^^Oops, I forgot to put the IGN link, thanks for notice, as the next time I make a thread following the source.

Microsoft got Shenmue 2 on Original Xbox, the design of Dreamcast controller for Xbox, but improved and what Sega had that was worth it, it's mostly now all on Xbox 360 (Sonic Adventure 2 - Dreamcast, example).

[quote user="Zen Like Calm"]

[/quote]

Oh, Derp, forgot that x360 got that FROM IgN. my bad.