Why is mass effect even considered a RPG?

One thing I have noticed in the past year ANY game with a leveling system is now considered a RPG. I'm not trying to make the game look bad. So cool it fan boys/girls.

There are two major factors a game has to qualify to be considered a role playing game.

Game play: games that are considered are RPGs must have a leveling system that is derived from base stats (like luck and strength) then secondary stats (such as explosives and first aid) then the most important one is party selection! Such as having tanks, healer, and damage dealers.

Character background and story: In RPGs games you are normally able to develop a strong background of your character. Then you are allowed to make multiple choices and different dicesions ( a few good and a few bad) with out making your character seem totally bi-polar.

for mass effect

Game play: the so called powers are little more then tiny perks. There no depth to them or your weapons. You don't even need a proper party selection on any diffuclty.

character background and story: granted mass effect does have a Little back ground selection but it doesn't go to far. You really can't be much more then a liberial goodie two shoes or jack @@@ cop. There just very little character customization.

So in all mass effect is not a rpg but a action third person shooter.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Out of curiousity, where did you get your definition of what an RPG is?...:-)

The common characteristics of previous RPGs. There is multiple definitions of RPG but it depends if it real life, mutliplayer, singe player, table top and so forth. I'm referring to the single definition.

Also, if you want good examples of RPG try final fantasy, fallout, star wars knights of the old republic, dragon age, and bard tale.

I ask for I really don't know what exactly an RPG is, I mean, I know what it stands for but how it applies to video games is unclear to me.  I remember 'Dungeons & Dragons" from years ago, but you used your imagination for that I thought.  Video games leave little to the imagination, except for when they haven't been unveiled yet.  Perhaps the cross-pollunation of all of the many different genres has redefined what an RPG is, when I break it down, I create the "role" and attitude of Commander Shepard in MASS Effect but not in something like say, Arkham Asylum, the character and attitude is all ready established before I buy the game...:-)

I don't classify Mass Effect as a true WRPG... but rather I concur with BioWare's classification of calling it a ARPG (Action Role Playing Game).

There is a difference between an action RPG and an action game with RPG elements.

This is where my eyeballs begin to spin, what's the difference?...:-)

[quote user="The Lord of War"]Why is mass effect even considered a RPG?[/quote]Because you play the role of Shepard, and make choices that have a significant impact on the game. Something that does not happen in most TPSes.

[quote user="Schuey19"]

[quote user="The Lord of War"]Why is mass effect even considered a RPG?[/quote]Because you play the role of Shepard, and make choices that have a significant impact on the game. Something that does not happen in most TPSes.

[/quote]WOAH! I got a email my desicision mattered so much. Oh wait. There is no desicision that sigificant impact on gameplay. 

Also, I'm just going to state this again. Just becuase I don't believe me is rpg just a glorifed action-tps.  Doesn't make the game worse. Infact I don't hate Mass Effect. I love Mass Effect.

[quote user="The Lord of War"]

Game play: games that are considered are RPGs must have a leveling system that is derived from base stats (like luck and strength) then secondary stats (such as explosives and first aid) then the most important one is party selection! Such as having tanks, healer, and damage dealers.

Character background and story: In RPGs games you are normally able to develop a strong background of your character. Then you are allowed to make multiple choices and different dicesions ( a few good and a few bad) with out making your character seem totally bi-polar.

[/quote]

Well, sure, the "real" RPGs (and by real I mean the games that defined the genre way back when: early FF games, Chrono Trigger) were dependent on party selection, but other options were severely limited. You couldn't shape the background story; it was revealed to you as you played. Choices were also lacking, as you could be dickish for a bit, but eventually had to accept the right path to continue. Mass Effect has more freedom, but not as much as Fallout. Conversely, Mass Effect also has a very taut narrative compared to Fallout, and it's more likely to draw you in. So, yes, ME still falls into the RPG camp.

The Mass Effect series isn't and never has been classified as a bonafide RPG.

Mass Effect is a hybrid game that combines many different genres into one that makes it unique, much like how Borderlands is unique in the sense that it's a First Person Shooter/RPG/Action/Adventure type of game, just as one example.

There really shouldn't even be a debate about whether or not Mass Effect is or is not an "RPG", because the definition is so wildly construed to each and every person, thus you cannot possibly set it in stone just because you think this and someone else thinks something totally different.

Personally, games like the old Final Fantasy games, for example Final Fantasy X which is my favorite of them all, are RPGs in the realm that the old "dice roll" and "stats" characteristics heavily solidify the gameplay and everything you do revolves around it. The story however is much more linear compared to the likes of Mass Effect because you do not shape out story elements progress, you only progress the set track in an open environment.

While up to this point the Mass Effect decisions and choices really haven't been that "game changing" when we've simply received e-mails for a majority of them like is stated, the simple fact that the option is given to you to shape the story in how you want it throughout an entire trilogy gives the Mass Effect series a leg up on other games out there in the general genre as like I said most if not all other stories are linear in nature.

As for the combat characteristics and the dependency on stats and such to shape how you go about combat and interact with other aspects, Mass Effect 1 did have that characteristic.

Combat was purely based on the "dice roll" mechanic, not turn based mind you, on whether or not you will perform well. You leveled up specific stats to then increase or improve things such as specific weapon proficiencies, overall health of your character, power or effective area of biotic/tech powers and etc.  Out of the gate at the start your character was "weak" per say.  Your weapon was not accurate apart from controlling your shots, they were not powerful, your powers/tech skills were limited and not only power, but field of impact, and time of use, your dialogue proficiency in persuading others was minimal, and on and on.  Once you started to level up all of these aspects improved, at least on a small scale because there was 60 separate levels.

Mass Effect 2 still has that dependency but on a much different scale and approach, much having to do with being limited at 30 levels, and how you earn XP is different because there isn't as many levels.  I think the change in how combat plays out was alright in that how your individual weapon performs good or bad no longer depended on leveled up stats but by simply acquiring a better weapon, and I see why they made the change to appeal to a broader audience.

For Mass Effect 3 however, it seems as if they are sticking with that system, but bringing back all 60 levels, and earning XP like you did in ME 1, and not just at the end of each mission summary.  The skill trees from the looks of it have expanded and are more diverse compared to ME 2 in that once you upgrade a power/skill it's not set the same track, you can branch off into different characteristics of it throughout the full 60 levels this time around.

Everything aside, like I said in my opening sentence, whether or not you think Mass Effect is a true "role playing game" is irrelevant because the definition is completely different from person to person and is rather classified as a distinct hybrid. While the emphasis on Action aspects has been beefed up that's absolutely apparent and there's no denying that, the inherent word of "role playing" still exists in the truest sense and the overall interaction within the Mass Effect story throughout the entire trilogy is part of that.

Anyways that's my spiel on the matter, whether you agree or not it's up to you it won't matter either way to me, I just think this issue that Mass Effect isn't a true "RPG" is baseless for the reasons I said, doesn't mean I'm correct or right just saying what I believe.

(My god it has been forever since I've posted on the Mass Effect forums, I feel alienated lol.)