Why is license transfer between accounts considered theft?

Just as the title asks, why is license transfer between accounts considered theft? When I purchase a physical game disc, when I am done with it, I am free to give it to whomever I chose. When I purchase a game through the market place, I am limited to transferring it to a console that I own only, otherwise it's considered theft/fraud. Why is this?

The license is already only able to be linked to a single console, what is the difference if it's mine, my sister's or a friends? The game has already been purchased and Microsoft has already been paid for that license. Why are my only options to leave it dormant on a storage device or delete it (essentially throwing my money away)?

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

Easy you cannot transfer content from your accountt nor cna you transfer your account to anyone

No online service lets you sell your account or any content within it

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

With a physical disc, only 1 console can play it at a time. By violating the code of conduct and abusing the license transfer, you are essentially allowing 2 consoles to have access to the content at the same time while only one person has paid for the content. You can still play digital content at a friend's house legitimately when you sign in on their console and access it but upon leaving your friend's house the content is no longer accessible (similar to physical disc concept).  Hope this helps clarify the why's. If not please let us know if you have any follow on questions or concerns. Thanks

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.