Why I'll still never buy online video with DRM

So, finally got into The Walking Dead show and yes, it's great.  Looked at actually purchasing Season 3 on Xbox Video so I could watch it on various devices including the Xbox.  So, to test this out, I get on the Xbox, I select a "Free" item to make sure everything works as I would hope.  And that is where it all goes south and will keep me getting my content from various other means.

Steps to download a FREE 2 minute video:

1. Search through Season 3 items, and I see two version of the same item.  Neither tell me if HD or SD and upon going into each one I determine it is because one is on Vudu and one on Xbox.  However, I am not in the Vudu app, I'm in the Xbox app.  

2. Select a video, select it again to "Purchase".

3. Enter in Family Settings code.

4. Select yet again to Purchase.

5. Enter in Family Settings code.

6. Confirm my purchase.

7. Enter in Family Settings code.

8. Watching video.

Total time waster 5 minutes to watch "Free" video and what the hell is this with having to enter the Family Settings code 3 times, selecting it twice to purchase?

Hmmm, and they want me to pay $2.99 an episode to go through this mess?  No thanks MS, you won't have my $$ until you make this easy.  And to be fair, most other services are just as bad.

Now, I do have a question.  I have my account set for Adult and have a PIN number to log into my account.  Why the hell do I have to also enter in my Family Settings PIN when I want to watch something?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

The problem I have with The Walking Dead Season 3 is that I purchased a season pass mid way through.  I was able to watch all the episodes that were currently available at the time I purchased my season pass, but guess what happened when the next episode came out.  It wanted me to purchase the episode, even though the screen before said I had already purchased the season pass!

So about 45mins with support and issue needed to be escalated.  I get an email from support several days later with instructions that were the same as what I had already received.  Followed the instructions again, and this time it worked.  But guess what, next episode has come out and I've got the same issue all over again.  To make matters worse, the season pass for all my other shows now has a corrupted licence file and no amount of refreshing my purchase history helps.

I'll stick with purchasing DVD's next time.  At least they are portable and I can share/swap/sell them later.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there Diver! It sounds like you are starting this process from the Video Hub on the Dashboard. If you know you want to be in Xbox Video only, try launching the app first from the Dashboard and then doing your searches in there. This should cut down on some of the back-and-forth here.

Additionally, since you seem to be on a Child Account or Secondary Account of a Family Plan, the request for the access code cannot be helped. You can promote your Child Account if you are old enough or try using Video from the Primary Account of the Family Plan.

Finally, you can purchase the season pass for most shows. Not only will this save you time and button presses getting each episode, but it's a savings as well. I myself was watching season 3 last night after purchasing the season pass and it was only a couple clicks to get from one episode to the next. Please let me know if any of this was helpful or if you have any additional questions. Happy to help!

Sage: For our best help, please create a new thread here detailing your issue and any steps you have already taken. We'll be happy to assist you there, thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.