Why dose microsoft force you to install games on disk onto the console?

Why is it that you cannot put a new disk in the drive & play it straight away?

Maybe it is because microsoft wish to inconvenance their customer's for not downlaoding the game from the xbox store.

sure I'd love to buy all my games from the xbox store but their prices are always more that what I can get it from the shop.

I also can drive to the shop buy the game and get back home faster than just downloading it from the store.

so you can understand how much it [Mod Removed] me off that I can't play my game as soon as I get home.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hello Delusional King,

Sorry you are frustrating through this. I too sometimes feel frustrated when you have a long day and wanting to relax and play some games after work/school. But there are some good understanding reasoning behind it, there is no reason getting mad at the situation, Xbox One team has done a real great job on this generation when it comes to entertainment.

The Xbox One was originally built to be a an online only DRM, however, through the many consumers concerns before launch they reversed the idea. So in such short time they had to reverse DRM, this is just a theory of why it is this way. In time however, new updates will come regularly to help and improve these areas of console performance and stability. Just you see. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The real reason is the speed as to which the disc can be read. The speed of reading game data off of the hard-drive is significantly faster than reading off of a Blu-ray discs, which means that games can load resources quicker. It is the same reason why PCs have installations.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would rather put up with some slow speed than fill the hard drive and have to delete games to put in a new one. I think I may forget the Xbox one when I upgrade and go for the PS4. I'll just have to wait for the new Tomb Raider till next year.

Sorry this didn't help.

OldeRaider

I would suggest an external HDD (3.0 USB).  They are relatively inexpensive and they work very well.  You will require a drive at least 256GB but you can go much larger up to 16TB.  Personally, I have a 3 TB drive.  As The Beacon indicated in order for the system to function as designed it needs the extra speed that is generated by reading from the HDD.  Good luck, HTH.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have supper fast internet speed 12mbs. I can't afford the highest speed and don't want to wait hours or days for a game to download so I'll just stick to my 360 and buy older games. I have read stories about it taking forever to download a game.

Sorry this didn't help.

OldeRaider,

That of course is your choice.  Some games do take some time to download and they also have updates that require some download time.  However, you being aware of the situation so your expectations should not be to be able to play the game immediately.  You can always pre-order the games and they will download ahead of launch day and that way you can play the minute they are launched and not have to go to the shop and pick it up it will already be available.  Happy Gaming!

Sorry this didn't help.