Why Don't You Buy Used Games?

I was reading another thread about scratched discs, and there were a lot of people who were very militant about the fact they only buy new games.

So my questions is : Why will you not buy a used game?

SO...

If someone plays through a game and trades it you could, for example, save five bucks/quid and still buy it within a week of release? The disc is not scratched - is there anyone who would still rather buy a new copy (assume you couldn't get it on day one for whatever reason), and why?

Maybe you feel that you are "supporting the games industry". Remember, this is an industry that makes a gorram firtune and generally couldn't give two hoots about you.

Maybe it's simply that money doesn't matter to you. If so, then lucky you!

Genuinely interested in people's opinions. For my part, I would always go for the cheaper option if the game is in good condition... it just seems stupid not to, but that's my opinion.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I like to buy my games brand new because I like to keep them in excellent condition. If you buy them preowned, you tend to get scratched ones or games that don't have their manuals etc.

However if for example a new game has this week, and I don't buy it brand new, I won't have a problem buying a preowned one, as long as it's in a good condition.

cex sell pre-ownd with a rule, everything needs to be there and the disc is imaculate, the case is sometimes grubby but the game works like brand new

I buy used games and always check them before I leave the store. If they scratched, I then ask for a better copy. 99% of the time, they give me a better copy. Customer satisfaction has always been a priority in the stores I have been to. Be it GameStop, CEX or The Exchange (Pittsburgh store, as far as I know).

Why? Becauase I don't see the point in paying $55 for a used copy (With the possibility of being scratched / No online pass) when I can just pay $60 and get a new disk + get everything that's supposed to come with the game.

Uh... let'sassume that the $55 copy is not scratched and has everything with it. This is my point - what if there is no difference? Do you effectively waste five bucks?

I like the new game smell.

I do buy pre owned games because they're cheap. But the main reason I buy them is because they're not available new. I prefer new games because they, well, they're new and new games are something that's only been touched once and I don't like having games with dog eared cases and like when I bought Dirt 1 a few months ago it has a sort of toothpaste looking substance stuck on the underside of the circle in the middle, I was immediately suspicious and was unsure as to the extent of any other damage, whereas if you buy games new you know for definite that they're not damaged.

[quote user="Emceehamster"]

Uh... let'sassume that the $55 copy is not scratched and has everything with it. This is my point - what if there is no difference? Do you effectively waste five bucks?

[/quote]

If it is not scratches and has the online pass code, then I will buy the preowned version.

I always used to buy games on the release date brand new, but every time i did i would notice that a few weeks later the brand new price has dropped almost half the price so now i still buy new but wait for a drop, like brink i was going to buy that straight away at £40 but 2 weeks later it went down to £29 and then another week later it went down again to £21 so then i bought it.

The only time i buy second hand games is when its an old game that i cant find new copies anywhere or if theres a huge price difference.

[quote user="Emceehamster"]Uh... let'sassume that the $55 copy is not scratched and has everything with it. This is my point - what if there is no difference? Do you effectively waste five bucks?[/quote]

But everything doesn't come with it though.  Most shops don't allow cash refunds on used games if the product fails, you're given shop credit.  Buy it new and you're entitled by law to receive a full refund (whether that be card or cash depending on how you purchased the game) regardless of what the shop's refund/return policy may or not be.  Hence the reason you pay less when buying 2nd hand goods, you're paying less because you have no manufacturer's warranty, and you also accept the product is more likely to develop faults.  If the game does become faulty, and because you bought it 2nd hand, then the onus is on you to prove the seller withheld certain information about the condition of the product.

So when you look at the bigger picture, that $5 is buying you a whole host of rights that you don't get from buying 2nd hand goods.  So basically, you pay less because it's you that will incur the repair costs etc if something goes wrong, not the retailer.