Why does everyone find the Mass Effect series so appealing?

I personally don't like the series at all,I like the concept and story,but I don't like the gameplay.The gameplay just seems so redundant and not appealing at all,I get no satisfaction when I kill something.What does everybody find so appealing in this series?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The storyline is pretty awesome, combine that with the fact that you can alter it (somewhat) by your decisions and you've won me over.

The combat isn't my favorite, but I'm much more attracted to the fact that after every mission I can spend about thirty minutes walking around the ship and talking to my crew, finding out more and more about them with every encounter.

Somtimes, it's not about killing.

[quote user="GothamValor"]

I personally don't like the series at all,I like the concept and story,but I don't like the gameplay.The gameplay just seems so redundant and not appealing at all,I get no satisfaction when I kill something.What does everybody find so appealing in this series?

[/quote]The first one I found the combat satisfying, ME2 and ME3, not at all, in fact I am seriously considering playing it on story mode if I get it so I can avoid the tedium of the combat. It all depends on if they have another achievement for completing it on insane difficulty.

@Tataki -- They do.

@OP -- To me, a good story/concept trumps gameplay mechanics.. unless they are completely broken, which they are not.  Those types of games appeal to me much more than say, running around shooting terrorists which got old in about 2007.  I've gravitated away from the FPS genre onto other things. (Or at least try to)

Mass Effect does nothing original. The story is a Star Trek ripoff and the gameplay is a Gears ripoff.

I always thought that Mass Effect would be awesome,knowing that it was made by BioWare which made KOTOR.Everything just seems so generic,even though it may have a good story it doesn't have good gameplay.I cant have a game that's all story and no action.

It has a good story, decisions effect the outcome of certain situations, interesting characters, and you can transfer your character from past games into the new ones.

@SZC

Once again you show your ignorance, The story is a Babylon 5 rip off and a war of the worlds rip off. And just want to ask how do you justify calling it a gears rip off when many people have already told you Gears itself ripped off RE4. Hell, even Cliffy B has gone on the record stating where he got the ideas for combat from.

[quote user="SubZeroChief23"]

Mass Effect does nothing original. The story is a Star Trek ripoff and the gameplay is a Gears ripoff.

[/quote]

And your beloved Halo is nothing but a ripoff of Starship Troopers.

I never played ME2. ME1 was the most boring game I have played this gen. Cool concept, just poorly executed imo.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

The difference is Gears completely improved on RE4. Bioware is on their 3rd attempt with ME and judging from the demo they still can't come close to matching what Epic was able to do their first attempt. And for people that say ME is about the story well if you like stories where every character cries over their personal life because literally every single squad member in ME2 did.