Why do you have to be online to delete the game history of a title you've only played offline?

This has me somewhat baffled I confess.

Now I understand why you've got to be online to delete the history of a game that Live has seen. Though surely it would just update the next time you connect to Live.

However I scratch my head why if I've only played a game offline, I have to go online to show Live I have it in order for me to delete me having played it.

I game offline quite often. I go around to friends houses where they don't have the internet, or a broadband connection. Sometimes I just yank my Ethernet cable if I am feeling anti-social. So why on Earth if Live has never seen me play that game should I have to connect to Live in order to get rid of it.

Sorry for the rant. I just needed to get that out of my system.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

I guess, so it can delete the game from your gamertag on here.  I don't know.

But if I've not played the game online, the Live database doesn't even know I have played it. So I shouldn't need to show Live I have in order to get rid of it.

Ummm, never noticed that before. probably because I'm almost always online.

But yeah I don't know why, it does seem strange.

That does seem strange. Another thing that buggs me about online is the automatic time change when connecting to live. The time on my 360 is always different than all my clocks around the house. Bugs me. But my guess, DC, is that they don't let you delete it offline because of conflicting data for online and offline, similar to how when recovering a gamertag.

I understand why if you've played the game online but I'm talking about a game you've only ever played offline.

For example I got sent Dungeon Siege 3 from my rental service. After a few minutes of playing I found the console version was as bad as the PC version, so I wanted to delete it from my game history.

Now I had been offline since before playing the game. Live had never seen that I had played Dungeon Siege 3. Yet I had to connect to Live, which updated it to the Live servers, in order to remove it.

The connecting to Live step should not have been necessary for removing that game. 

'Cause the Cloud is watching you!

That's interesting. Have you tried this using a profile that has never connected to Xbox LIVE?

[quote user="voteDC"]

But if I've not played the game online, the Live database doesn't even know I have played it. So I shouldn't need to show Live I have in order to get rid of it.

[/quote]

But your console probably doesn't know that you've never connected to live with the game in your history and therefore does what it knows and asks you to connect so it can confirm deletion from the data stored on the XBL servers

[quote user="Fullmetal1986"]

That's interesting. Have you tried this using a profile that has never connected to Xbox LIVE?[/quote]If you have a completely offline profile, one that is not Silver or Gold, you are able to delete the games.

However it seems that as soon as that initial Live connection, Silver or Gold, is made it locks you out from doing so.

Tatakai, the console should know you've never played the game online because of the Last Played Online data.