Why do people think Mage is hard?

Really, I havn't done a second playthrough yet, and i've been a pure mage since Bleak Falls Barrow (on master difficulty), and finished the main quest storyline, but I don't understand why you think it's hard? I think it's too powerful, and too easy, the only time I get hit is by those Chacorus scrubs and sometimes Dragons. Post what you think.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm a battle mage and in battle I've learned that it's kinda hard to aim a spell and have it hit your target when they are moving all around and coming at you.  I ALWAYS resort to slash and bash.  MUCH more effective.  

I always thought of what it might be like to be a mage. My first playthrough was a spell warrior and I found it incrediby difficult since I had no mode of defense and always resorted to getting up close (Not wise against dragons). My thid playthrough is a wood elf archer and I find that to be the easiest but OP might have a point

^ The more advanced spells are alot better, I am level 26, 400 Magicka, 150 Health, 100 Stamina, I only use Stamina for sprinting anyway, and I rarely lose health, but the more Magicka, the better IMO.

[quote user="Roc Boy374"]

I always thought of what it might be like to be a mage. My first playthrough was a spell warrior and I found it incrediby difficult since I had no mode of defense and always resorted to getting up close (Not wise against dragons). My thid playthrough is a wood elf archer and I find that to be the easiest but OP might have a point

[/quote]I'm a mage and I wear robes and throw destruction magic around. I kind of like ice spike right now. It's satisfying to see icicles sprouting out of enemies. I use a bow but mostly for critters. I don't use a bow against dragons. I carry potions and enchanted items against frost, not as worried about fire since I'm a dark elf. To handle dragons and not anger the locals I have learned to just get in the dragons face and sling fire or ice until it croaks, always slurping potions as needed. It is still working on blood dragons but I'm only level 20 and we'll see what happens when the dragons get meaner. I do have to be careful and pay attention when the dragon is trying to eat me. I did find it extremely difficult as a mage until I got to about level 15 though I still am pretty much toast if 3 baddies gang up on me when I'm not prepared. 

Because Destruction damage doesn't scale with your level, that's pretty much it.

-

At level 26 you'll easily be able to wreck most things in one or two shots from an expert level Destruction spell. The fact that you have nothing, or very little, in the way of defence doesn't matter at this stage because everything dies before it can get at you.

-

Get to level 40 and you'll see the problem. Your Destruction magic will still be doing about the same damage it is now, but all of the enemies will have more health. Never mind creatures, it will take you five or six shots to kill most bandits. And they'll kill you with two or three arrows. Even if you're wearing armour and you've enchanted it to give you infinite magicka, it wont matter because you wont be able to damage the enemies fast enough.

-

You'll be shooting Bandit 1, and Bandit 2 will just run up and drop you. Or maybe you'll kill Bandit 1, and kill Bandit 2 just before he kills you, but then Bandit 3 will shoot you with an arrow and you'll die. That's how every enemy encounter will go for you if you play the way you do now at higher levels. Beyond level 40 the only way to survive most battles as a mage is to exploit the enemy AI. And that isn't much fun.

Yes, I expect I will see the problem once I'm at a higher level. I have restarted several times because I am still tweaking but haven't gotten past level 23. I have a feeling that Skyrim will play out for me more like Morrowind than Oblivion. Morrowind crippled mages so I always ended up with enchanted gear and a good bow but I always had Chrysamere for the end. I went back and played as a total mage once I learned the cheat codes (which I thought of as Welkynd stones). That made being a mage a bit easier but I still needed a blade.

^ There are still ways to play as a mage in Skyrim, Destruction magic just isn't a particularly good one lol. Your best bet is a hybrid character. Playing as a thief/mage is quite effective. I just go with light armour and a bow, then use illusion spells to mess with people. Invisibility is obviously handy for a thief, and spells like fury make taking out groups of enemies pretty fun. You can just cast fury at someone from a hiding place, wait until he's killed all of his buddies, and then nail him in the back of the head with an arrow.

Thats why you enchant your gear with x%less magika to cast destruction spells until you get it to 100%.  Then your destruction spells cost nothing and you can spam them like crazy.  Even the weakest spells are effective when they can be cast constantly.

Greig, I can use Novice spells and drop simple Bandits like crazy, with Expert level spells (which I haven't unlocked yet, 5 levels off, grr), I could probally make a space program.

Being a mage is hard until you get the Dual casting/impact perk combo  for destruction. After that, get your conjuration up to lvl 70 so you can summon a dremora lord : Game! My magicka is 900 something, health is 300, stamina is 100.

I have a ring/necklace/arms/chest/helmet all enchanted with the following: 62% magicka regeneration, 60 points of magic added to my total magic. Shame I can't add that to my feet. It is a full set of Dragonscale Armor.[Legendary]