Why Do People Still Hype Up Games?

Never understood why people still hype up the heck out of games. All it ever leads to is disappointment. Just recently I saw Battlefield 3 fans complain because the BETA of Battlefield 3 has issues and isn't what they imagine, and can't enjoy it.

Me on the other hands, had no expectations at all from Battlefield other than it'll be terrible. To my surprise it isn't and I'm enjoying it.

I stopped getting hyped for most games after Halo:Reach came out. Reach was a good game, but failed to deliver what I expected, and ruined the game for me.

Currently, I'm seeing people hype up Skyrim, Skyward Sword, Halo Combat Evolved, Modern Warfare 3, and Battlefield. So, why do people still hype themselves up and set themselves for disappointment and failure.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This subject is pretty ridiculous. Why do you people get excited about games they are looking forward to? I mean seriously, did you really just ask that? If you live in a world of constant disappointment, that sounds like a personal problem to me. Just recently, I was super hyped for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. And the game met my expectations to a tee. Loved it. I was also hyped for Dead Island. That game actually surpassed the expectations I had for it. Loved it. Right now, I'm hyped for RAGE tomorrow.

-

And I am more hyped than I have ever been for anything in my life, for Skyrim. I would bet a large sum of money that neither game will let me down. Sure, there have been games which fell short of my expectations which led to great disappointment. FFXIII for example. So what, I should stop looking forward to games because of the off chance that I might be disappointed? I feel sorry for you, bro.

I have to agree with sword style here. What I took from what you said was basically that most games are a disappointment, and some are okay at best, and that liking the final product of a game has anything to do with whether you were excited for it or not pre-launch? That's just what I took from that though.

Remember always log in to your windows live ID regularly and never wait 90 days between signing in.

[quote user="Sword StyIe"]

This subject is pretty ridiculous. Why do you people get excited about games they are looking forward to? I mean seriously, did you really just ask that? If you live in a world of constant disappointment, that sounds like a personal problem to me. Just recently, I was super hyped for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. And the game met my expectations to a tee. Loved it. I was also hyped for Dead Island. That game actually surpassed the expectations I had for it. Loved it. Right now, I'm hyped for RAGE tomorrow.

-

And I am more hyped than I have ever been for anything in my life, for Skyrim. I would bet a large sum of money that neither game will let me down. Sure, there have been games which fell short of my expectations which led to great disappointment. FFXIII for example. So what, I should stop looking forward to games because of the off chance that I might be disappointed? I feel sorry for you, bro.

[/quote]I feel sorry for the people who let all the hype get to them and bought and wasted 60$ on games like Brink, Dragon Age II, Black Ops, Halo:Reach, Fable IIIetc

Thankfully I didn't let hype get into me or I would have really hated myself for buying bad games like Black Ops and Dead Island.

Only game I'm hyping up is Sonic Generations, cuz my inner fanboy can't be contained. <3

BF hypes itself up I mean look at this: [view:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwJK1KedEPs]

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

You see, that's your problem right there. You let other people's hype influence you. That's retarded. Anyone who considers himself a gamer, needs to do research before making any purchases. It's not hard to see something and know that it's right up your alley, or vice versa know that it's not for you. If I let other people influence my purchases, I'd end up buying something like Sonic Generations.

[quote user="Sword StyIe"]

You see, that's your problem right there. You let other people's hype influence you. That's retarded. Anyone who considers himself a gamer, needs to do research before making any purchases. It's not hard to see something and know that it's right up your alley, or vice versa know that it's not for you. If I let other people influence my purchases, I'd end up buying something like Sonic Generations.

[/quote]I'm buying Generations based off the fact that I'm a Sonic fan and so far I've loved everything I've seen from the game. I'm also buying Saints Row The Third because I love Saints and it looks fun.

If I let people influence me I'd have Skyrim/Battlefield per-ordered. I don't though, not my type of game, not interested.

Hype comes naturally when you like something.  I try not to let myself overhype games anymore after Oblivion, because my dissapointment in that game had a lot to do with my expectations.  Now I try to stay cautiously optimistic about the games I would normally be hyped about.  Doesn't mean it always works though because Im super hyped about RAGE right now.  Can't wait til tomorrow.

Anyone who goes out and buys a game because some yahoo was talking about how much they like it, deserves whatever disappointment they get. That's not hype. That's just being ignorant.

@ Sword Styles  Is X-Men Destiny as bad as I've heard or is it at least worth a rental?

[quote user="BEASTmmb"]

@ Sword Styles  Is X-Men Destiny as bad as I've heard or is it at least worth a rental?

[/quote]It's definitely not very good. Lack of variety and loads of repetition make this game get boring very quick. And instead of playing as the Xmen, they drop you in the shoes of some nobody that you don't know or care about, and you simply get to interact with the Xmen from time to time. However, it isn't unplayable garbage. I'd recommend it as a rainy day rental when you have absolutely nothing better to do.